favorite nesting box

anniepyanoe

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 13, 2008
central NY
Hey all....
I have 16 chickens that have finally started laying nicely. I have 8 assorted nesting boxes for them. I left an open bag of pine shavings in the coop and they all love laying their eggs in there. The problem is they they wait to use it and sometimes I have seen 3 of them trying to get in all at once. It's quite comical, but I'm wondering if I should get rid of the bag so they will use the boxes or just let them have it and figure it out for themselves. They do squabble over it.
Thanks!

Hey all....
I have 16 chickens that have finally started laying nicely. I have 8 assorted nesting boxes for them. I left an open bag of pine shavings in the coop and they all love laying their eggs in there. The problem is they they wait to use it and sometimes I have seen 3 of them trying to get in all at once. It's quite comical, but I'm wondering if I should get rid of the bag so they will use the boxes or just let them have it and figure it out for themselves. They do squabble over it.
Thanks!
Chickens will do this. It’s really annoying, mine did it so we eventually just got a super long nesting box and it works great

Do you also have shavings in the nest boxes? If not, what? Do you have fake eggs?
One thing I have tried, is to put some of their own eggs in one or more nest boxes. They look in and think, hmmm, everyone else is laying here, I think I will too. It really works. Save some of their eggs back for tomorrow and bring them out to the nest boxes.

I'm wondering if I should get rid of the bag so they will use the boxes or just let them have it and figure it out for themselves.

What is most convenient for you? Think in the long term. The chickens appear happy right now. Are you? What are your specific concerns about them laying there? Is it in the way? Some other concern?

If you are not happy with them laying in that bag I can think of a few options. You can remove it and see what happens. Maybe you can build a nest and set it where that bag is, see if they continue laying there. If the bag is not very close to your nests gradually move it toward your nests, a foot or two at a time every three or four days. Then remove it when it is next to your nests and see if they decide to lay in the nests.

I grew up on a small farm. One of my chores was to collect the eggs from a free ranging chicken flock. Your location sounds mild compared to some of the nests I found. But I don't know what your facilities look like.

I consider your comfort and convenience as important as anything you do for the chickens. If it is a pain taking care of them you won't do a very good job of that long term. As you can see the chickens don't really care about your comfort and convenience, they will adapt and thrive as long as you cover the basics.

sometimes I have seen 3 of them trying to get in all at once

Very normal with my flock. I often see two hens and sometimes three all crowded into one nest to lay while there are empty nests build exactly the same in that same area.

Back
Top Bottom