Favorite Tomato

Pineapple is by far #1 for me. It is an heirloom and I start my own as well.

Christie
If you like Pineapple try Ruby Gold/ Gold Metal.
This tomato is said to be the "mother" of all the Red and Yellow striped tomatoes.
The Pineapple, Striped German, Big Rainbow, etc. are said to be bred from this original plant.

I have grown gold medal, big rainbow, virginia sweets, countless others...we won't talk about my seed collection/addiction. But, I still say hands down Pineapple is my favorite. The others are all very good as well. I have alot of varieties I really like. We usually grow over 20 varieties of tomatoes every year. I am always on the hunt for something new that I have to try.
Christie
big_smile.png

I have grown gold medal, big rainbow, virginia sweets, countless others...we won't talk about my seed collection/addiction. But, I still say hands down Pineapple is my favorite. The others are all very good as well. I have alot of varieties I really like. We usually grow over 20 varieties of tomatoes every year. I am always on the hunt for something new that I have to try.
Christie
big_smile.png

LOL, I average about 10 varieties some years more if I feel the need to try a new tomato but I put out around 100 to 150 tomato plants some years more.

Have you tried Campbells 1327 or Ramapo?

Christie
big_smile.png

What do you do with all those tomatoes? And is your chicken addiction that bad??
1f601.png

Chris09 - No I have not tried the Ramapo. Give me the info on that variety!

TNBielefelder- We can a lot. We are a large family of 8. I also supply many other family members with plants and produce. As for the chicken addiction...well it is bad too. We raise a variety of birds. We currently have a couple hundred chicks hatched and 2 sportsman incubators full. I need to start enabling others and shipping more eggs!
Christie
big_smile.png

Chris09,
Thanks for the link. I grow a " Rutger's select" at least that is what the seed packet says. It is a red fairly early tomato. Usually average size fruits. Very traditional tomato flavor. Is that similar to the ramapo.

Christie
smile.png

Chris09,
Thanks for the link. I grow a " Rutger's select" at least that is what the seed packet says. It is a red fairly early tomato. Usually average size fruits. Very traditional tomato flavor. Is that similar to the ramapo.

Christie
smile.png
The Rutger / Rutgers select tomato over time has lost some size, taste, etc. so what Rutgers did was reintroduce some old tomatoes.
The Ramapo, Moreton, and the Rutgers 250 are all "recreated" tomatoes, they are said to have the same mother plants as the originals and also will have the same size, taste, etc. as the ones of old.

Well I have settled on 4 different kinds of tomatoes for this year. Big Reds, Brandywine (sudduth's strain), Giant beefsteak, and Mortgage lifters. I should have my hands full with these.

Back
Top Bottom