Favorite Treats

stasichick

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Long Island
What are some of your favorite treats to give your chickens? I gave them raspberries and broccoli the other day and they loved it! Ready to expand my treat game and wondering what some of your favorite treats are!

** Also, how old before you give them a cricket or two? I think it will be hilarious to watch them run after a cricket!!

Mine will kill for dried meal worms. It doesn't matter where they are, if I come out and shake the bag, they come running! They will follow me across the yard and back to the coop area where I will feed them. My husband thinks it's hilarious to see them hopping all around me, trying to get the bag as we walk.

stasichick - So far I have only given them some crumbled up mealworms. And one evening I gave them a few tiny pieces of bread crust. But every other evening I mix some of their starter crumbles with a little water to make a 'mash'.....and they love it! I plan to get some lettuce and give them a little of that is weekend. Let us know what works for your girls.

And I have heard about feeding them crickets...commonly referred to as "Cricket Football". One chicken will catch the cricket and take off running while the others try to catch her and steal her 'football' before she can eat it. Sounds cruel, but entertaining.

Jeff

Mine will kill for dried meal worms. It doesn't matter where they are, if I come out and shake the bag, they come running! They will follow me across the yard and back to the coop area where I will feed them. My husband thinks it's hilarious to see them hopping all around me, trying to get the bag as we walk.

I help take care of my neighbor's chickens when he's working. I walk up to the barn and call them and hold the bag of mealworms up for them to see. When they see me with it, they will run to me. I sit down on one of the steps and they will surround me waiting for their 'turn'. Occasionally, one will try to 'jump line' and steal one before her turn. I can't get mad though. I've even got a few of them jumping for them. I'll hold it about a foot above them and they'll jump up and get it. I haven't been pecked yet.

Jeff

How fun! (I know its slightly cruel but the bearded dragons eat the crickets and I seem to be okay with that) I will have to try making a mash! Can wait! :eek:)

My hens will eat just about anything. strangely some things others say their chickens like mine wont eat?

Like:
Grapes
Watermelon
Raisins
scratch
any kind of pasta. spaghetti, chef boyardee etc
Since I don't have time in the morning to let them out I cut up kale and parsley so they can get some greens until I get home and they love it
anything alive and moving. bugs,worms,crickets, small snakes and frogs they love

dislikes:
dried meal worms. they just show a lack of interest in them at all
yogurt
cherry tomatoes

Was going to try a pumpkin this weekend and see if they like it. When I gave them watermelon they seemed to like the seeds better that the fruit though lol

My chickens love: tomatoes, lettuce, rice, watermelon, strawberries, meal worms (absolute favorite), bananas, cucumbers, meat, bugs, and corn on the cob.

The ducks love: tomatoes, lettuce, meal worms, and corn on the cob (much pickier than chickens)

Edit: My chickens also love vanilla/plain yogurt. I tried strawberry banana thinking it logical since they like each of those foods...no such luck. They won't touch the stuff.

Last edited:
What are some of your favorite treats to give your chickens? I gave them raspberries and broccoli the other day and they loved it! Ready to expand my treat game and wondering what some of your favorite treats are!

** Also, how old before you give them a cricket or two? I think it will be hilarious to watch them run after a cricket!!
My young hens love grapes, sliced in half. They come running for grapes and enjoy shredding a few grape leaves too. They also like the little pumpkin half with ground up seeds I put in the run. They have not responded as well to the meal worms as I had thought they would but maybe it is an acquired taste!
D.gif
Grape tomatoes disappear quickly as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent ideas for treats!

stasichick and I both got our peeps on the same day, 9/5, so they are right at 3 weeks old now. I am amazed at how fast they are growing. Thanks again...

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom