Favourite Chicken Treat?

NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
What's your chickens favourite treat(s)? I think my girls favourite is meal worms and plain yogurt. They go crazy for that stuf, especially the meal worms! :)

My chicken's absolute favorite treat is the earwigs they find when I flip rocks over for them in the summer.

They also like smashed pumpkins & watermelon and sprouted wheat\barley greens.

Sometimes it takes them a while to catch onto mealworms if they've never had them before. Only took mine 2-3 days though! Mine also like raisins, grapes, bananas, and don't seem to care for yogurt or scrambled eggs. I'm a new chicken owner, so still experimenting.

I
Sometimes it takes them a while to catch onto mealworms if they've never had them before. Only took mine 2-3 days though! Mine also like raisins, grapes, bananas, and don't seem to care for yogurt or scrambled eggs. I'm a new chicken owner, so still experimenting.

I found that my older girls love yogurt but the younger ones don’t seem to care for it. It might be a taste they pick up as they age?

Mice that they hunt on their own :jumpy

Of the things that I give them, live meal or super worms are hugely popular. I haven't tried live crickets or hornworms yet but I suspect that they would be greatly appreciated.

Cut up grapes, tomatoes and mealworms are the favorites here. They also enjoy cut up left over spaghetti (with sauce) as a rare treat lol. Chickens can eat almost everything we can.. no avocados, beans or green potatoes though they are toxic.

How early do people introduce chicks to berries and greens? I have given my chicks mealworms, scrambled eggs, and a little oatmeal, but I haven't tried any of the fruits or greens we give to our adults.

Back
Top Bottom