Favourite Chicken Treat?

Live kingworms and hemp seeds do it for my girls. A half handful of sunflower seeds will also start a frenzy.
However, if I need to give them a tablet, I will wrap it in cheese. All of them go crazy for it. It's not a regular thing, or even a treat - just a way to ensure that medicine gets swallowed. I give a tiny piece first to let them know what it is, then they almost bite my hand off trying to get the cheese wrapped tablet.

Broken up egg shells. :lol:
Of course meal worms, worms where we’re digging (especially the ones right under the shovel ha ha), mice, fresh pumpkins the turkeys break into :barnie, low hanging tomatoes, berries, Swiss chard, ...

A soft shelled, thin shelled or cracked egg smashed on the ground. They act like a pack of Velosirapters on a kill. Their next favorite is searching for mixed bird seed scattered in straw. 20171204_130505.jpg . GC

PASTA or RICE!!! with some string beans and corn mixed in. The greedy raptors almost take my hand off when I put that bowl in there. We're not talking cute little chicks, they're 18-weeks old and BIG, waiting for the coop to be finished.

The favorite treat is mealworms and anything in a different container. I could give them normal food in a bowl instead of their feeder and they go nuts over it. They also eat out of the compost bin so they get a lot of different foods along with all the stuff they eat while free ranging. In fact I need to put a lid on the compost, they're eating all of it and nothing actually turns to compost... :hmm

When they were little they were especially enamored with live bugs. When we let them out in the run in the morning, the first thing they'd do is run around frantically in the grass (before they killed it all) catching bugs and then chasing each other to try to steal it. It was the funniest thing in the world. :lau And they'd jump/fly into the air to catch mosquitoes so we didn't get eaten alive while spending time in the run watching them. Unfortunately they don't do that now that they're big chickens.

Pasta, they love pasta. Strawberries,hard boiled egg and cottage cheese are up there. They really eat whatever I give them, they aren't picky, but boy do they love pasta.

Pasta, they love pasta. Strawberries,hard boiled egg and cottage cheese are up there. They really eat whatever I give them, they aren't picky, but boy do they love pasta.
I've even added some chopped up SPAM or sliced, boiled pork chop or steak, and some greens, to the pasta. These little heffas eat better than me.

Back
Top Bottom