Favus or Fowl Pox or what? HELP *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andythescot, Aug 23, 2011.

1. andythescot

andythescot Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    My Easter Egger Doreen is the only chicken in the flock with these weird whitish/yellowish spots on her comb. Some of the spots are flat, others are shaped like little tiny tubes. She has a pea comb with plenty of little crevices in them. For a while I ignored the spots, thinking they were just scabs or something, but they've been there for months and it doesn't seem to have affected her health. But after looking into it, it seems that she might have an issue. Here are some pictures, I apologize for the quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEASE let me know what you think.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Not sure what that is. All of the fowl pox pics that I ever saw had little black spot/scabs everywhere. Not sure about this chicken's light colored spots. Did the spots change colors?

3. andythescot

andythescot Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    The spots changed gradually from white to yellowish, which I thought was unusual because they had been white for a very long time.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is she doing overall?

5. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I don't think fowl pox as it is usually more black in nature and it goes away on its own in a couple of weeks or so.
    sharon

6. andythescot

andythescot Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Overall she acts as though she usually does, she is the bottom of the pecking order and some of the others will peck her comb.. The spots might just be scabs, but you never know. But she has been roosting away from the group at night, though that might just be from getting bullied.

But thank you all so much for the input, I've been worried sick!

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Poor baby girl. Sounds like she will be ok. I hope they accept her into their circle and stop bullying her. Keep an eye on her and let us know how she is doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by