Favus or Thrush?

Are both of her eyes grey? So sorry that she seems to be having trouble breathing or gaping. If she seems to be suffering, putting her down might be something to consider. That is only up to you. Could your vet get testing or a necropsy to confirm if she has Mareks?
Just the one eye is grey but I’m sure I remember the seller pointing this out to me?

Update on my hen and more advice please! Thanks for everything received. Treated her with ivermectin. Discovered yellow translucent dead skin over her head and upper neck. Softened it with olive oil. Began peeling off. Feathers came out. Her sister pecked the bits. Revealed new skin. Rubbed Vaseline in for a few days as it was slightly pink. Her crest seemed to grow. Also been treating successfully for scaly leg mite. This evening a blackened patch has appeared on her crest and it seems a little translucent? She’s eating and active, a little aggressive but hangs back at feed. What is this? Mareks? Scaley face mite?

Attachments

• 24BFC4E3-6BD9-41B7-9EB1-07556FDC1197.jpeg
    24BFC4E3-6BD9-41B7-9EB1-07556FDC1197.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1AFA65FE-0370-45A6-A96E-CF86DF2874E3.jpeg
    1AFA65FE-0370-45A6-A96E-CF86DF2874E3.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5FFC607C-B2CC-4532-88CE-B7B23F39544E.jpeg
    5FFC607C-B2CC-4532-88CE-B7B23F39544E.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 5
What is on the back of the neck in the feathers? If temps are freezing, the comb could have some mild frostbite, or it could be an injury, since there is something wet looking on the neck. Several of us had mentioned the ocular form of Mareks disease back on the first page of this thread.

Do we have your location? Has it been below freezing?
The Algarve in Portugal so it’s not freezing although the temperature just dropped and it’s very windy. It can’t be frostbite but could it be cold as she has no feathers on her head?

What is on the back of the neck in the feathers? If temps are freezing, the comb could have some mild frostbite, or it could be an injury, since there is something wet looking on the neck. Several of us had mentioned the ocular form of Mareks disease back on the first page of this thread.
Yes it does look like the ocular form of mareks thank you. She’s had one blue eye since I bought her a year ago. Thank you, I think the head and neck thing could have been mites even though I never saw any because she had scaly leg mite. So when her comb seemed larger I thought she was in the mend but then this black appeared and there may be a tiny black spot in the other. How are there so many problems with chickens? They’re kept very clean, fed well and loved. 🙁

Yes it does look like the ocular form of mareks thank you. She’s had one blue eye since I bought her a year ago. Thank you, I think the head and neck thing could have been mites even though I never saw any because she had scaly leg mite. So when her comb seemed larger I thought she was in the mend but then this black appeared and there may be a tiny black spot in the other. How are there so many problems with chickens? They’re kept very clean, fed well and loved. 🙁
It’s Vaseline on her neck that is been rubbing into the skin. The comb also as it was dry.

Back
Top Bottom