Favus treatment in cold

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
I think one of my hens has favus. Her comb and wattles are lighter in color with a whitish film. It’s nothing severe like the images I’ve found on the internet of the condition and she is behaving normally. I have seen treatment options involving specific anti fungal creams. I would consider treating her but I am concerned with the cold weather that it might cause frost bite. Temps between 0-30 in my area currently but soon could be much colder. Should I just see if it runs it’s course for now?

This is a product I already have at home from when my dog was persistently licking a paw that cleared up that issue for her it says it works on ring worm and from what I’ve found on the site the active ingredient doesn’t seem to be harmful to chickens so maybe I’ll give it a go on warm days. I really don’t want to separate this hen as she is already at the bottom of the pecking order

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 18
How cold is it getting there at night? Many people mistake the dry skin and pale combs of hens who are not laying during winter months. But pictures may be helpful. Betadine (povidone iodine) is sometimes used to treat fungus. I think that if you have to use miconazole cream or the ketoconazole product shown, then I would just bring her inside and rub the cream or liquid into the skin well before putting her back outside. That should be enough to both treat a fungal infection of the skin, and prevent it from freezing.

How cold is it getting there at night? Many people mistake the dry skin and pale combs of hens who are not laying during winter months. But pictures may be helpful. Betadine (povidone iodine) is sometimes used to treat fungus. I think that if you have to use miconazole cream or the ketoconazole product shown, then I would just bring her inside and rub the cream or liquid into the skin well before putting her back outside. That should be enough to both treat a fungal infection of the skin, and prevent it from freezing.
Lows this week are in single digits. I’ll get a good picture of her in the morning and post it. It definitely looks different from my other non laying hens but it isn’t anything super gross or concerning which is why I had been assuming it was dry skin for a few weeks. It’s definitely looked as it does for a few weeks and hasn’t gotten worse and because she’s eating and drinking and walking about i wasn’t super concerned but today I looked a little harder bc there was some dried blood on her comb (no obvious injuries she’s bottom of the order so maybe a minor scuffle happened). Since I was looking closer it did make me think maybe there’s something fungal going on. Will do an update in the morning with a few pictures

Partridge Rock Mt Healthy DOB 3/29/23 fed scratch and peck layer plus black sunflower seeds currently bc of some girl molting and cold. Occational tomato/ berry and other veg scraps.

Acting normal for her which is kind of skittish bc lowest on pecking order but she’s moving around eating drinking etc

Attachments

• 9BE0D97D-83C7-4F10-938F-21762693277C.jpeg
    9BE0D97D-83C7-4F10-938F-21762693277C.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 95C807C3-DE1B-4CD4-82B3-6AAB5228100E.jpeg
    95C807C3-DE1B-4CD4-82B3-6AAB5228100E.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 20
Partridge Rock Mt Healthy DOB 3/29/23 fed scratch and peck layer plus black sunflower seeds currently bc of some girl molting and cold. Occational tomato/ berry and other veg scraps.

Acting normal for her which is kind of skittish bc lowest on pecking order but she’s moving around eating drinking etc
Looks like dry comb with some peck marks to me.

Back
Top Bottom