Fayoumis Crosses

Nice bird, Justine. Still.... NN here? Will have to think about that some. Anything is possible. I'm considering Fayoumis when they would never have been on my radar before recently, pretty as they are.
You'd only have to do it one time. Imagine it's a really bad molt and as soon as you have regular chicks on the ground - sell them all (I sold over 100 NNs this year - I wasn't even planning on breeding them until the requests came pouring in).

I think they'd give you better rate of lay than Fayoumis with better size. I know you like voluptuous birds.

You'd only have to do it one time. Imagine it's a really bad molt and as soon as you have regular chicks on the ground - sell them all (I sold over 100 NNs this year - I wasn't even planning on breeding them until the requests came pouring in).

I think they'd give you better rate of lay than Fayoumis with better size. I know you like voluptuous birds.

I do, but....that may be changing soon.

I've seen conflicting information about the broodiness, or lack thereof, of the EF. Are they or aren't they? Some places say no, some say very much so. I don't particularly want a broody breed at this point in time.

An example is on the SAME PAGE of a dropshipping hatchery site, they say "Hens will usually lay eggs at 4 months and have a strong tendency to go broody" in the description, but on the chart of traits, it says "Broody: Infrequently". Seems contradictory to me.

Last edited:
I've seen conflicting information about the broodiness, or lack thereof, of the EF. Are they or aren't they? Some places say no, some say very much so. I don't particularly want a broody breed at this point in time.

An example is on the SAME PAGE of a dropshipping hatchery site, they say "Hens will usually lay eggs at 4 months and have a strong tendency to go broody" in the description, but on the chart of traits, it says "Broody: Infrequently". Seems contradictory to me.
I too have seen the conflicting information. For my own purposes, I want a chicken that will go broody, and I definitely want to at least try Fayoumis because of their reputation for heat tolerance, but I'm still in the same boat. Will they or won't they?
barnie.gif
Lol. I guess maybe it comes down to individual birds.

I'm just saying to get the disease resistant genes out of them. This is a NN crossed with a Barred Rock - 8 weeks. They are so incredibly vigorous ;)
What a pretty bird. I am curious, is it a pullet or cockerel?

So can a NN x (something with feathered necks) cross be either bare necked or feather necked? Or are the offspring always feather necked? Is the disease resistance attached to the bare neck gene(s), or (I am presuming from your picture and comments) can it be in feather necked offspring as well?

I too have seen the conflicting information. For my own purposes, I want a chicken that will go broody, and I definitely want to at least try Fayoumis because of their reputation for heat tolerance, but I'm still in the same boat. Will they or won't they?
barnie.gif
Lol. I guess maybe it comes down to individual birds.

I have so many who brood already. My Belgian D'Anver bantams are super broody and my Barred Plymouth Rock line is broody as well. Just not wanting to add to that. We don't need chicks much so we have way more broodies than the need most of the time. I'd like to take a break from broodies for a few years, to tell the truth. But, yeah, I guess you'd have to have the wait and see attitude on the EFs since the information is all over the place on the web.

So can a NN x (something with feathered necks) cross be either bare necked or feather necked? Or are the offspring always feather necked? Is the disease resistance attached to the bare neck gene(s), or (I am presuming from your picture and comments) can it be in feather necked offspring as well?

At 8 weeks of age, that would be a cockerel, I'm guessing, right aoxa? I'm sure she'll come in and tell you about the NN gene, one I'm not well versed on myself.

50% NN 50% like this guy :)

Yes it's a cockerel. I don't know why they are disease resistant, I just know I have had wonderful experience with them - and they are cited in many places as being disease resistant.

The crosses have had all the awesomeness of the thrifty NN and lay incredibly well at around 20 weeks old. They are my most productive winter layers. Surprisingly.

At 8 weeks of age, that would be a cockerel, I'm guessing, right aoxa? I'm sure she'll come in and tell you about the NN gene, one I'm not well versed on myself.
Yes it is a cockerel. He's 2 copies of the barring gene as well, since I have barred Naked Necks.

Honestly I think mine are way better than most. I may be biased though ;)

50% NN 50% like this guy :)

Yes it's a cockerel. I don't know why they are disease resistant, I just know I have had wonderful experience with them - and they are cited in many places as being disease resistant.

The crosses have had all the awesomeness of the thrifty NN and lay incredibly well at around 20 weeks old. They are my most productive winter layers. Surprisingly.

Yes it is a cockerel. He's 2 copies of the barring gene as well, since I have barred Naked Necks.

Honestly I think mine are way better than most. I may be biased though ;)
Did you start with breeder or hatchery birds? Just curious how hatchery NNs (or offspring of hatchery NN crosses) would stack up against breeder quality birds as far as the disease resistance?

Have you worked with offspring of the F1 crosses? Do they do as well as the F1's (production, hardiness, etc.)?

Did you start with breeder or hatchery birds? Just curious how hatchery NNs (or offspring of hatchery NN crosses) would stack up against breeder quality birds as far as the disease resistance?

Have you worked with offspring of the F1 crosses? Do they do as well as the F1's (production, hardiness, etc.)?
Really not keeping many of the F1 crosses.

Mine are from breeders, not hatchery. I don't have show quality NNs. They have had so many breeds put into them to improve this and improve that.. For example - NN Turkens usually have BIG single combs. The breeder I got them from crossed them with true Ameraucana to get pea combs. They lay both blue and green eggs. Who knows what else they have in them. Leghorn for sure in my Whites who lay Blue eggs. Barred Plymouth Rock for the ones that lay green - these ones have the best temperaments. The whites lay bigger eggs more frequently.

I've not yet lost a NN to anything at all. Really hardy birds!

Back
Top Bottom