Fayoumis Crosses

After I typed that Knuclehead is that largest of the boys (as he has been for a few weeks now), I went back out to double check. Pepper is definitely larger now...so if he/she is a boy, then Pepper is the largest of them now.

Photo update: Skylark is 14 weeks and the others are 10 weeks and 2 days.

Skylark - He's still got some maturing to do, but it's easy to see how he'll fill out in time.

If you recall from post #26, there was a chick that looked like Skylark's twin. That chick also ended up being a cockerel and we named him "Pepper". These guys had the same parents, but the color is very different now...Skylark having cream tones, while Pepper is all black and white. First the two in 1 shot, then Pepper on his own:

Here are the other 2 surviving boys (the LegHorn and the EF/BRs have been eaten already...they looked the same as they had, except one of the EF/BR boys had some NICE saddle feathers coming in...hated to let him go, but I can't afford to feed boys that I know I'm not going to keep).

This one is "Jonas", a Leghorn/RIR*. (*Close enough) We'll be keeping this one, as well as Skylark. The other surviving boys ("Pepper" and "Knucklehead Jr") are being rehomed.

"Knucklehead Jr." Leghorn/EE - The camera doesn't do him justice. I'm not claiming to have a show quality bird, and he's a mutt anyway, but if someone asked me to pick out the most stately, well-statured bird for a "show", I'd pick him without hesitation. And he's got good personality to boot. He's going to make a heck of a Roo for my brother.

And here are some random shots. The last 2 Fayoumis Crossed pullets are both black with collars. One is a EF/Australorp, the other a EF/BR. I could not tell you with certainty which is which at this point, but I can make an educated guess if I had to. The other pullets are RIR cross and Leghorns and Leghorn crosses...and they are obvious which is which.

Another couple of pics of my EF/Welsummer pullet from a few days ago.

In both pics, you will see my full EF hen in front and the hybrid pullet in back. However, the EF is not the mom. The pullet is EF Roo X Welsummer Hen.

They are on the middle roost here. The white crested roo in the back is Buff Laced Polish Roo X Dark Brahma hen.

Here is a pic of the EF Roo. He now has a badly frostbitten comb and is recuperating in my basement.

Another couple of pics of my EF/Welsummer pullet from a few days ago.

In both pics, you will see my full EF hen in front and the hybrid pullet in back. However, the EF is not the mom. The pullet is EF Roo X Welsummer Hen.

They are on the middle roost here. The white crested roo in the back is Buff Laced Polish Roo X Dark Brahma hen.

Here is a pic of the EF Roo. He now has a badly frostbitten comb and is recuperating in my basement.
Your EF/Welsummer is looking good. I noticed she got the slate feet (from her dad(?), unless Welsummers have this also). All my EF crosses (pullets and cockerels) had that as well except the EF/BR crosses. They had yellow legs with slate fronts. Your Roo looks just like mine did, with the tinged hackle and saddle feathers.

I had to laugh at the WHITE BuffLacePolish/DarkBrahma cross! I got the same with all the leghorn crosses. LH/Austraplorp = white (with 2 teeny tiny black spots on her back). LH/EE = white. LH/Buff Brahma = white (with white feathered feet).
tongue.png
The ONLY exception was the LH crossed with what I now think was a Gold Sex Link (which was a RhodeIslandRed/RhodeIslandWhite). That's "Jonas" who is primarily white with some red blotches.

Last edited:
Your EF/Welsummer is looking good. I noticed she got the slate feet (from her dad(?), unless Welsummers have this also). All my EF crosses (pullets and cockerels) had that as well except the EF/BR crosses. They had yellow legs with slate fronts. Your Roo looks just like mine did, with the tinged hackle and saddle feathers.

I had to laugh at the WHITE BuffLacePolish/DarkBrahma cross! I got the same with all the leghorn crosses. LH/Austraplorp = white (with 2 teeny tiny black spots on her back). LH/EE = white. LH/Buff Brahma = white (with white feathered feet).
tongue.png
The ONLY exception was the LH crossed with what I now think was a Gold Sex Link (which was a RhodeIslandRed/RhodeIslandWhite). That's "Jonas" who is primarily white with some red blotches.
The Welsummers have yellow legs, so the slate came from the sire. I'm hoping she will lay larger terra cotta eggs like the Welsummers do. Her mother's eggs after molting are very large, if not as numerous.

I read up on it afterward. In order to have the buff lacing, you need both genes for it. If you only have one (like my boy), you get white (mostly). You can't see it, but he isn't all white. He has the occasional black or buff tipped feather, and his hackle and saddle feathers are the same cream color as the Fayoumi. He has feathered feet too, with mostly white feathers. He's also almost pretty much as big as any of my other roos already with a lot of growing to go. I expect that came from the brahma side.

My boy is all grown up! As of 3 days ago, the hens have warmed up to him and he has officially established himself as the Roo. I'm guessing he's a little early on starting to do his, errr, duties? (The Leghorn we ad didn't even start until 20wks...Skylark has been trying for 2 weeks now.) But, he's been steadily at it and the ladies stopped beating him up for trying.
love.gif

Here he is at 18 weeks, Fayoumis x EE - Rooster:

I'm not real sure what to make of his comb...a mix between 'single' and 'pea.'

And here is the Fayoumis x Australorp pullet at 14 wks (the other one died):

Last edited:
Wow; he looks great! even has some meat on his bones. It's funny to see the traits of the Fayoumi with the stature of the EE, the way he holds his tail et cetera. The added color gives him a game rooster look. Very cool!

Last photo-op for this guy. He's 20 weeks and officially an adult and established Rooster. I can't wait to hatch out some crosses between him and my hens...especially the SL Wyandottes. I think they will make pretty chickens, even if their eggs won't be large. Get a load of his comb. In the second pic you can make out clearly the bumps coming off the side. It's very cool.
big_smile.png

This is the first time today that I've checked out this thread. I was specifically looking for threads showing Fayoumis crossed with other breeds. Your Skylark sure did turn out great, I must say. The Fayoumis is noted for extreme disease resistance, but there are conflicting articles about temperament of them toward humans. You have a EF hen, not a rooster, correct?

Back
Top Bottom