Fayoumis Crosses

Fayoumis x BR (the "boys") I'll just post 1 pic each of them. There are 4 and they all look very similar. Some of the combs are just amazing. Keep in mind these are only 4.5 wks old.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Here are some shots of the others:

Leghorn pullet

Leghorn cockerel

Leghorn x Australorp (or) BR...hard to tell.

Leghorn x Buff Brahma Bantam

Leghorn x EE (notice the pea comb instead of a single comb)

SURPRISE! This was supposed to be Leghorn x BR, but the chest feathers tell me Leghorn x RedSexLink. The only other option is that Little Red Roo snuck in his mojo to a LEghorn hen and it's a RIR x Leghorn, but I doubt it.

RIR x RedSexLink

Last but not least, Skylark! Fayoumis x EE. He's starting to get some color in him at 8 weeks and 2 days old. (Yes, I am wearing PJ's...they're comfortable!) You can still see a couple of the ratty-looking tail feathers being replaced by those gorgeous shiny ones. His comb looks "pea", except it's really tall for that. And check out the color coming in on his back!

Last edited:
Wow, the Fayoumi traits are really strong, and Skylark is looking very nice already. The EE cross seem to add a lot of character with the facial features (muffs, comb and the fluffed up area behind the head). The brahma bantam cross is cute with those lightly feathered feet. But the three we have like that got ALL leghorn personality...loud, proud, and flighty.

Hopefully either Skylark or the leghorn cockerel will have some natural resistance to your area. Either of them would be a great breed/mix for your climate, not to mention the natural protectiveness in their breeds.

Well, there are now 17 chicks instead of 18. The little runt (see last 3 pics in Post #40) slipped through the fence to where the dogs stay. And the rest is history.
On the bright side, the dog that got him/her (we have 2) had the decency to take the chick far back away from us so we didn't have to witness much.

Sorry about the loss; and the cutest one to boot! I tell you what, I'll bring you one of our broilers when we meet up for Christmas (already packaged of course, unless you want a live one). Not sure if it'll make the kids feel better, but whatever...

Later,

Last edited:
Thanks, but don't go out of your way for it. Though I certainly won't turn down meat.
big_smile.png

We lost 2 more in the past 2 days...I guess some just aren't as bright as others. One I was actually relieved about because it was one of the rattier looking cockerels.

I also decided today that Skylark is destined for the dinner plate. I separated him from the chicks yesterday (because he is getting aggressive) for the entire day to see what happened. They got independent of him quickly. I had hoped he'd start hanging with the big girls since a couple of them are showing interest in him and he is trying to act like a Roo. But first thing this morning when the chicks did not follow him like he wanted, he started chasing and grabbing them and treating them rather harshly, even pulling our their neck feathers. And it wasn't just the other boys he was doing it to. So, I tossed him in the brooder by himself and I'll finish fattening him up in there. He had to have gotten that attitude from his "mom"...I have a couple EE's that are pretty snippy. His "dad" was nothing like this.

The chicks have started hanging near the big girls, and they are getting along wonderfully. There are 2 cockerels that have my attention right now for having chicks that follow them and their docility. One is the Leghorn/EE, the other is the Leghorn/SexLink. The Fay/BR also seem like gentle boys, but they don't appear to be leaders...at least not yet. By the time we see each other again, they'll be over 8 weeks old and I should have a really good idea which will make good Roo's. I liked Skylark because he is BEAUTIFUL (especially now...WOW). But, looks don't mean anything to me when attitude is rotten. Like I have said before...there are too many Roos in the world to tolerate a bad one. Anyway, I'll pick out the best of the boys and let you decide which you want for your pullets.

Poor Skylark :( If you can get along with a mean old goat that dislikes anything that's not food, including the other goats, you can live with them; but your wings will be clipped...and the only food you'll get is what you range for.

A rooseter for me? :) Sweet. Once I finish the back fence (4x4 field fence) he'll be the king of the backyard free range flock. That'll be cool.

Update time:

Skylark went into isolation for 4 days. Apparently it was just enough to cool him off and give the younger chicks a chance to man-up. They've been fine ever since, so we decided not to eat him.

Here he is at 11 weeks old:

And here are some random shots of the younger ones, which are 7wks 3 days today:

Next to the big girls for size comparison

Fayoumis x BR - the largest of the 3 that are left, but also the least "manly". Sometimes I wonder if this is a pullet, except for the comb size.

Fayoumis x EE - I had this one ("Pepper") pegged as a pullet, but now the tail feathers and it's attitude are screaming "cockerel". It often flares its hackle feathers and spars with the other boys.

Leghorn x EE - This cockerel has been named "Knucklehead" after the hen who is alledged to be his mom (but I doubt it's the right hen). He's the largest of the boys and one of the most clam. There is a pullet his same size and another pullet larger. The FAY x EE above is just about this size, and probably will outsize him by next week (judging by recent growth rates).

Leghorn x RedSexLink - Also a cockerel. The kids have named him "Jonas".

Back
Top Bottom