FDA admits chicken contains cancer causing arsenic!

Good point Arielle - I was thinking specifically in terms of metals like arsenic (the OP's original topic) which are very much cumulative.

But there are numerous other salts and toxins that can also accumulate - not to mention this very good latter point of avoiding repeated exposure.

I guess my bottom line is that I dont find FDA tolerances to be a valid guideline for what I consider to be healthy food. Our regulatory guidelines are necessarily accomodating of a highly industrialized food chain. Not my idea of good food.

Good point Arielle - I was thinking specifically in terms of metals like arsenic (the OP's original topic) which are very much cumulative.

But there are numerous other salts and toxins that can also accumulate - not to mention this very good latter point of avoiding repeated exposure.

I guess my bottom line is that I dont find FDA tolerances to be a valid guideline for what I consider to be healthy food. Our regulatory guidelines are necessarily accomodating of a highly industrialized food chain. Not my idea of good food.
My agricultural back ground is limited to the university level, and all teachings are to support a career in commercial agriculture. While I have had non-pesticide leanings for a long time, only in the last year have I really come to understand "organic" and"cancer" and the implications of what we eat and how we live either promotes the growth of cancer cells, or lessens their ability to grow.

ANy animal product will accumulate fat soluable toxins in the fat. I suspect that is a big part of the anti-fat movement among oncologists. THeir studiest do not account, I assume, for organicly sourced meats or home grown not fed a commercial pellet meats. While this is a chicken forum, I am seeing valid reasons to raise rabbits on grass cuttings. Which begs why cant chickens be grown using grass cuttings too. Or perhaps any measure that can reduce the accumulation of any of the toxins.

Becomes a can of worms.

My agricultural back ground is limited to the university level, and all teachings are to support a career in commercial agriculture. While I have had non-pesticide leanings for a long time, only in the last year have I really come to understand "organic" and"cancer" and the implications of what we eat and how we live either promotes the growth of cancer cells, or lessens their ability to grow.

ANy animal product will accumulate fat soluable toxins in the fat. I suspect that is a big part of the anti-fat movement among oncologists. THeir studiest do not account, I assume, for organicly sourced meats or home grown not fed a commercial pellet meats. While this is a chicken forum, I am seeing valid reasons to raise rabbits on grass cuttings. Which begs why cant chickens be grown using grass cuttings too. Or perhaps any measure that can reduce the accumulation of any of the toxins.

Becomes a can of worms.

More like increased consumption of protein & sugars seemed to feed the cancer- at least that is how my sister had explained it to me. She had to go in constantly for testing as she was trying to get into clinical trials. Trying to mitigate exposure to carcinogens is a lot harder than one might think.

It seems that some aspects of commercial agriculture is starting to utilize practices/methods developed in organic farming. Still.. around here it seems anyways.. they think you can't grow anything unless you chemically burn down the field, use synthetic fertilizers, spray, spray, spray. Fun of it all is that what they use.. doesn't stay on their property.

If the aim is to raise a healthy animal- it helps to know what you feed them. It seems that we can't just assume the ingredients in our food and in animal feed is what we individually define as healthy. (Bluntly.. if a company can cut corners to boost profit they will.)

Last edited:
I have to agree with you that cutting corners is the name of the game. THough I would like to beleive that many small farmers are trying to do it right. Hence the high prices. ANd those that might be termed home steaders.

I had not heard that protein was a food to reduce to contain cancers. Sugars were noted as a fuel and that decreasing the consumption of white sugar would be of value. ( I would still like to see more data on this.) THe cancer cells use a lot of material to grow, and protein would be one very important component of the cells, like any other cell. I read a book last year on what to eat if you had cancer, limiting protein was not listed as I remember. Eating high quality fruits and vegetables was a definite plus.

Trying to eat more home grown foods here-- competing with the chickens for the kale these days. Glad they changed the requirements on arsenic.

Back
Top Bottom