FDA document from review of egg farm in Iowa

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mark & Nique, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I didn't know where else to post this link: (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Safety/Recalls/MajorProductRecalls/UCM224392.pdf)

It is from the on-going nightmare of factory farming. It is somewhat troublesome to read, but what caught my eye was the immense pile of chicken manure as well as the outside birds who were nesting inside the barn.

Thank goodness for backyard chickens! (Please share this link with others!)

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    What's really funny is the stuff they black out... [​IMG]

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    you mean to tell me the govs safety inspections did not protect the general public imagine that that sounds like what happened in the gulf

4. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    EW [​IMG] Sounds nasty in there.

As far as the FDA protecting us, over the last 25 years or so gov't watchdog agencies have been gutted of personnel and funding. The interest of large business has trumped the public interest and safety.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I'm still stuck on the idea of a truck utilized solely as a 'dead hen' truck. [​IMG]

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    The manure pile thing completely grosses me out.....that's a whole lotta poop!!!!! So much that the doors were pushed open. EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also find it interesting the number of places within the facility that tested positive for Salmonella....manure, manure cleaners, feed bins, and if I read it correctly, even the roof over the feed bins.....yuck!!!!

As for the dead hen truck....I wonder what acceptable losses are in such a facility?

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's got me confused. They plainly show the names involved, but black out the references to laws?
    If this was done for privacy protection there'd be no names shown.... so not that.
    If it was National Security it wouldn't have been released, or not for years... so not that.
    What possible reason could they have for not letting the public know what laws are on the books?

Very odd. Unless the whole point is to make me so curious about those bits that are hidden that I don't read the clear parts as well as I should??

*shrug* Definitely posting that on my FB...

8. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I think the blacked out parts referred to actual clauses in DeCoster's factory management plan. Perhaps the actual wording cannot be released due to privacy laws? Although corporations should not have the protection of privacy laws. Do "veggie libel laws" apply here?

How many of the 600 factories that produce 80% of our shell eggs are going to be like the Galt factory?

9. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Thank God I don't have to buy store eggs..they should be shut down.

10. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    DeCoster is the money beyond Ohio Fresh Eggs, too. He used other people to apply for the permits. When ODA investigated they denied his permits. DeCoster's partners sued, and the Ohio courts overruled the ODA. Today Ohio Fresh Eggs keeps 13 million layers on seven sites. Six million of those layers are in Licking County alone.

Ohio Fresh Eggs is gross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by