Fearful Pullets not leaving coop

ourgirls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Six days ago I purchased five Buckeye pullets and joined them with my one-year-old Barred Plymouth Rock. The BPR has been alone for two months since we had a racoon problem that killed her five sisters. We spent quite a bit of money fortifying the run to make it iron-clad, then brought these new Buckeye pullets in.

The problem is, the pullets are very fearful. They are afraid of me, and they are afraid of the BPR. She has not pecked at any of them, just chased them a bit and sqwuacked at them constantly the first day or two. The pullets will not go out into the run if she is there. They also are very afraid of me. They stay in the dark coop all day unless I force them out. Also, at night they will not sit on the roost when the BRP is sitting there. (They do hop up on the roost as soon as she leaves) They sleep on the floor and get pooped on.

For the past couple of days, I have removed BPR from the run, and taken table scraps out. I go into the run and place the scraps on the ramp and just outside the coop and talk sweetly to them, hoping they'll begin to associate me with treats. They will tentatively come out of the coop, pick at the food, then get right back into the coop after a few minutes.

Any advice? How can I make my new pullets less fearful of everything and willing to go into the run? Thanks for reading this long post!

When we moved our chicks outside at 12 weeks (darn cold Minnesota springtime!) it took them a good 2-3 weeks to get over being scared of even going out into their run. A few of the 25 were brave enough to go out, but the slightest sound would have them running back in. Maybe yours just need more time too? As ours are beginning to lay, they are all getting friendlier and less fearful of us.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you're right and it will just take time. This is the first time I've bought pullets. In the past I've always purchased day-old chicks, so they were not afraid of me.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you're right and it will just take time. This is the first time I've bought pullets. In the past I've always purchased day-old chicks, so they were not afraid of me.
Day old chicks get used to you from a very young age...but these are a little older, and not in familiar surroundings, mine were really scared at first...as soon as you start giving them treats, they will associate you with food.....it just takes time....now mine follow me around the pen...it will be fine you will see
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom