Feasibility of Converting Old Shed into Coop

JessLH

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
I am hoping to embark on chicken ownership in the near future. We have an existing old shed on our property which I think could be secured and modified into a coop (eventually w/ attached outdoor run), but I am hoping for some feedback on which modifications to make as well as the overall feasibility of this. Most of the wood shed-to-coop conversions I've found online have been in different circumstances (ex: the shed was moved to a new location, completely overhauled, etc...).

This is a 10x12 wood shed, and we do not have any way to lift or move it in order to change anything underneath, so we would have to work with it as it stands now. It is slightly raised, but that appears to be only because the land underneath is inclined. Front of the shed is basically on the ground; the back has a few inches of space. Our property backs up to green-space, so we do have plenty of raccoons, coyotes, and small rodents we would need to keep out. My thoughts were that we could patch any areas of concern/holes, then install hardware cloth in a trench around the perimeter and secured to the shed. For the floor, I've been interested in the rubberized roof coating, but am not sure it can go on top of the floor as it exists now (see picture -- it's stable but oil-stained and maybe mildewy)? Should we consider re-doing the flooring entirely or is that really not necessary?

For ventilation, I think we would install a hardware cloth door, framed just inside so the main doors would remain open. And then cut a space for a window(s) in the back wall.

Input is much appreciated, especially if you have experience with a similar project.

Attachments

• IMG_6436.JPG
    IMG_6436.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    926.6 KB · Views: 15
I think it sounds like a good plan! I used a similar size shed for my coop and used that rubber roof coating too, works great! I just framed off the inside of mine so I could walk into the coop and still have the hens secure. Built a couple of roosts and poop boards. My shed has windows so I just put hardware cloth over the windows for ventilation. Sounds like we will have a very similar setup!

I am hoping to embark on chicken ownership in the near future. We have an existing old shed on our property which I think could be secured and modified into a coop (eventually w/ attached outdoor run), but I am hoping for some feedback on which modifications to make as well as the overall feasibility of this. Most of the wood shed-to-coop conversions I've found online have been in different circumstances (ex: the shed was moved to a new location, completely overhauled, etc...).

This is a 10x12 wood shed, and we do not have any way to lift or move it in order to change anything underneath, so we would have to work with it as it stands now. It is slightly raised, but that appears to be only because the land underneath is inclined. Front of the shed is basically on the ground; the back has a few inches of space. Our property backs up to green-space, so we do have plenty of raccoons, coyotes, and small rodents we would need to keep out. My thoughts were that we could patch any areas of concern/holes, then install hardware cloth in a trench around the perimeter and secured to the shed. For the floor, I've been interested in the rubberized roof coating, but am not sure it can go on top of the floor as it exists now (see picture -- it's stable but oil-stained and maybe mildewy)? Should we consider re-doing the flooring entirely or is that really not necessary?

For ventilation, I think we would install a hardware cloth door, framed just inside so the main doors would remain open. And then cut a space for a window(s) in the back wall.

Input is much appreciated, especially if you have experience with a similar project.
Not sure if this will work but this is a link to how I outfitted the inside when I first started. You can see the black goop that goes up the walls a bit, then I painted the 2 x 4's to seal them. Works really well. Keep us posted on your progress!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-input-welcome.832272/page-6#post-13862725

Howdy:welcome is this a portable shed ? Clean the floor. Kill the mildew with a 3 to1 water bleach mixture paint it and cover it with something. Keep it well bedded . I like old rubber roofing if you can get your hands on some . If the floor is solid your in good shape . If you know a industrial roofer ask them for tear offs. Rubberized roof coating may not adhere to the oil stains . Other option take the floor out and just have dirt . You can also use roofing tin around the bottom buried in the ground fastened to the shed . I paint the buried part with foundation coating . And make sure you have cross flow ventilation. You have a lot to work with there it looks like to me . Best of luck with your chicken adventure .:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom