Feather Casings not coming off

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Hi all, haven’t had to post in awhile but I have a question. I have a legbar frizzle that my Roo (no longer with us) destroyed so she has had a saddle on for about 1-2 months. Her new wing feathers after molt have come in but they just look like straws. I think the saddle may have been preventing her from getting to them but I don’t know. I took it off hee this evening but she’s so bald I’m worried about the cold and others pecking her. Can a person assist removing these or do I just let it be? Pics below so you can see not only the new feathers but the devastation of the Roo. All advise welcome. Tagging some of my favorite advise givers lol @aart @nuthatched @rosemarythyme
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3839.jpeg
    IMG_3839.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yeah if the area was covered she wasn't able to groom them off or naturally wear them off with dust baths. I think you can probably carefully pick some of them off (they should come off easily) but if they don't want to come off I'd leave it be for now and let her groom them off herself.

How cold is it? I took a look for your general area but it doesn't seem that cold (it said 43F tonight), even for a half naked bird. As long as she has a draft free place to sleep with her flock she should be fine even with the bare patches.

Yeah if the area was covered she wasn't able to groom them off or naturally wear them off with dust baths. I think you can probably carefully pick some of them off (they should come off easily) but if they don't want to come off I'd leave it be for now and let her groom them off herself.

How cold is it? I took a look for your general area but it doesn't seem that cold (it said 43F tonight), even for a half naked bird. As long as she has a draft free place to sleep with her flock she should be fine even with the bare patches.
Ok perfect. Yeah we had a couple days down in the 30’s but the rest of the week looks good. I was really more worried about pecking at her bald spots during the day but something’s gotta give so she can get her feathers out. It’s hard to see cause it’s a camouflage saddle lol. But here is what it looks like on her.

Attachments

• IMG_3840.png
    IMG_3840.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 4

Ok I tried pinching and gently twisting one of them and it broke but not in half and I couldn’t get it off. Have you ever done it and if so, how do you pick them off? She is pretty laid back and will sit in my lap while I do it but I don’t really know how.

Ok I tried pinching and gently twisting one of them and it broke but not in half and I couldn’t get it off. Have you ever done it and if so, how do you pick them off? She is pretty laid back and will sit in my lap while I do it but I don’t really know how.
I haven't had to, but if they won't come off, I would just leave them alone since you have warmer nights coming. She can pick them off over the upcoming days as long as she has access to them.

Back
Top Bottom