Feather eating ?? hmmmm, weirdo !!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swtangel321, Jul 20, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Today I was watching our hens, one of them found a feather that came off the rooster..... it was a good sized one, so she walked over to it and ate it, took her a min to get it all down but she did.... Is that normal ??? anyone else have a hen that does that ?? I think I have some of the weirdest chickens !!!!

2. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    My hens eat their feathers all the time they go up to a random feather on the ground and .... MUNCH MUNCH munch it's really weird isn't it mabye extra protein or something?!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Well I feel a little better I don't have all the weird chickens [​IMG] She is a new hen to me so I have NEVER seen any of my others do it, maybe little little ones that who even knew they were a feather.... as i was watching I was like "wow that looks yummy"

This week ive seen feather eating, my hen mounting my other hen (guess my rooster sucks at it, and they are trying to tell him something) and another one of my hens is growing spurs !!!
    I think thats it !!! [​IMG]

Like you said maybe they think it's good for them !!!

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's called recycling. Your hens are going green. [​IMG]

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously all my hens do that it's normal. [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Wish my chickens woudl eat the feathers - would make my yard less messy!

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I'm glad you posted this. My girls were doing that too and I though OMG .........will they be ok? Chickens are weird and adorable. I luv em'.

8. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have never seen a hen eat a feather. Maybe mine are closet feather eaters! [​IMG]

To each his own, I guess! [​IMG]

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Your chickens are lacking Methione. Methione- An amino acid (containing sulfur) required for feather growth. It's found in black oil sunflower seeds which also contain 30% protein.

There have been many post on this in the past and feeding the BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) does really help. Upping their protein can help too. Eating may lead to impacted crop.

10. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by