Feather Eating - Problem or no problem?

sebloc

Chirping
May 7, 2016
Connecticut
Hello
My chickens eat feathers. Not by plucking them off, but if there's a feather laying on the ground that's not too dirty they'll eat it. Why? They've been doing this since the age of 10 weeks and I've only seen it it a few times. I noticed it again today which lead me to asking about it. They're now 18 weeks old and have no eggs yet. They have access to food inside the coop at all times during the day and water is outside and inside. ??? Thanks.

Fallen feathers are not a problem. It's when you see them plucking them out of the other chickens that it is a problem. Eating feathers could be a sign that they aren't getting enough protein.

Any feather eating is an issue because it could start being a bigger one...Dry cat food will bring up the girls protein levels...If they are going through the juvenile moult they need extra protein to make new feathers..Feathers are protein....Add a few handfuls every other day depending on how many hens you have....

Hello
My chickens eat feathers. Not by plucking them off, but if there's a feather laying on the ground that's not too dirty they'll eat it. Why? They've been doing this since the age of 10 weeks and I've only seen it it a few times. I noticed it again today which lead me to asking about it. They're now 18 weeks old and have no eggs yet. They have access to food inside the coop at all times during the day and water is outside and inside. ??? Thanks.
What and how exactly are you feeding?

I'm feeding them layer feed. Normally they all peck their feathers, but not each others. The feed's in a bucket with holes on 4 sides that goes into a tray with access on all sides. I would figure because the layer feed has less protein, that would be why they are eating feathers, but we started giving them layer feed at the age of 15 weeks.

I'm feeding them layer feed. Normally they all peck their feathers, but not each others. The feed's in a bucket with holes on 4 sides that goes into a tray with access on all sides. I would figure because the layer feed has less protein, that would be why they are eating feathers, but we started giving them layer feed at the age of 15 weeks.

Agrees, no layer feed until actually laying....and are you giving them any other foods/treats??

I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Last edited:
I've been told all over the website to give them layer feed at the age of 16 weeks. They're around 19 or 20 now and expecting an egg at any given time. They haven't been eating as many as a noticed before, and I haven't done much about it. They seem fine. Seems to be that it's just a faze that they're growing out of. They started eating feathers around 18 weeks when we moved them into the coop. Thanks.

Here's just some of the many references there are:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1016267/when-to-change-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41589/when-to-change-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/531280/when-to-change-the-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/532419/when-to-change-to-layer-feed

4 months old = 16 weeks. I started feeding them layer feed around 16 weeks because that's what most people were saying. Some people said 18 weeks, some said 20, but the majority said 16. I haven't noticed many problems with refusal to eat it, and there wasn't a real point in giving them more starter feed because they finish a full bag in 6 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom