Feather Eating - Problem or no problem?

My coop offers 5.9 square feet per bird, my run has a galvanized metal roof so they can remain outside of their coop during storms, snow and blazing sun.

My birds aren't pampered, I just happen to have fun building things lol.

Tops of the nest boxes provide extra roost space, usually the birds lowest in the pecking order sleep there.

Since this photo was taken I have put a sheet of metal in place of the OSB, leveled the fencing, added a few ventilation ports and screwed down the roofing to the chain link fences.

Flock's Master, I got all these supplies to build this at minimal cost, craigslist and FB groups will be your best friend.

Metal can be bought at any metal roofing supplier as "second run" or "second quality" product for less than a dollar per linear foot.

The chain link kennels can be bought on FB or craigslist used, a 10x10 run might run you $150-$175.

The coop itself can be made from all kinds of things, 6 chickens is not a lot to house, many used shipping crates can be made into coops.

Personally I used second quality T1-11 siding, I believe they still were about $15 each, I can't remember exactly right now but they were cheaper than plywood.

Overall you can build a quality coop that will house 8+ chickens for around $300, and it will last you years and years.

Better yet, occasionally I will see a coop for sale on CL or FB, some people end up getting rid of their chickens and sell a coop of the same size super cheap.

How does this go from feather eating to something about coop design... sheesh.

We have now covered diet related causes and housing related causes for feather eating.

It's all different yet the same, we must discuss how to fix the problem if we are to solve the problem for good.

Anyone else know of any other causes of feather eating?

Smile and nod... Some folks are well meaning, some are kinda uppity, but you never know what you'll get when you ask a question. I felt like I was being a little condescended to, as well.

Back
Top Bottom