Feather footed roo - mites or infected?

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
I noticed my feather footed roo’s leg is inflamed and possibly scaly mites? for a while now I’ve noticed I have a feather plucker getting him but it has never been this inflamed/infected. What can I do to help? I have VetRX and a few other things on hand. Thanks much!

Attachments

• 062E5BD1-DCAD-4C9B-8288-6760CC12F4DF.jpeg
    062E5BD1-DCAD-4C9B-8288-6760CC12F4DF.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 27
I'd separate him from the feather plucker and slather his legs with antibiotic ointment. That should help with both infection and a possible scaly leg mite infestation.

I'd separate him from the feather plucker and slather his legs with antibiotic ointment. That should help with both infection and a possible scaly leg mite infestation.

Thanks! I’ve never dealt with this obviously. I’ve never noticed a feather picker within my flock so that will be hard to narrow down but I will definitely pay more attention to try to get to the bottom of it

I think you should also consider trimming his nails. That's not contributing to the problem, but they are very long for the average chicken. (Just my opinion.)

How much space do they have? Long toenails indicate to me he doesn't get out to scratch around much and feather plucking is often a behavior associated with boredom.

Here is a great write-up on scaly leg mites: https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

While I have never treated for it, my cochin roo's feet looked a lot like this. Leg mites are usually contagious and none of my other chicken's feet looked like this. I do believe that at least to some extent, heavily feathered feet are more prone to generalized inflammation. Again, that was just my opinion based on my experience.
=

Back
Top Bottom