feather issues??

jessa2723

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
cape cod ma
Hello all, I need some advice. Im not sure if my 11 week old magpies are molting or if its something else. They have been fully feathered for a few weeks now (and what beautiful feathers they are!) but the past week or so i have noticed small down feathers all over the yard, in their pool, in their pen, and everywhere else you can imagine. I have observed them actually pulling them out ocasionally. They are eating normally (poultry pellets avaliable at all times, chopped fruits and veggies in the am, peas and meal worms for treats, and they forage all day) they have access to water at all times and don't seem to be acting out of the norm in and way. Is it possible that they are already molting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

They are molting, in a sense. Birds go through three sets of feathers before they reach their adult plumage. Your ducks are probably just molting into their next set of plumage. I wouldn't be surprised if they molt again before they get their adult feathers.

I don't think so. If you want to speed up their feather growing, give them some higher protein food. Chickens love scrambled eggs, and I'm sure ducks would too!

Back
Top Bottom