1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feather loss and little red crawling bugs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by really4me, Oct 11, 2015.

1. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    My Americana quit laying and then after I few weeks I noticed she has lost a lot of neck feathers. On further inspection, I found lots of areas of feathers missing. I thought of molting but then decided to give her a once over. Looking at her more closely, I saw only one little red bug( a mite ?) but that was it. I've used diatom pwd on her and my other girls once a week now for several weeks. i put it up on their roust, I changed the straw and cleaned their nesting boxes letting them dry all day in the sunshine. I don't see the little buggers anymore but she still isn't laying but maybe every 4 or 5 days. I've added the diatomaceous powder that consumable to the feed, put it in their dust bathing areas. Is there anything else that I should be doing? I'm a newby and try to have happy chickens. Colleen

2. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    It is molting season so she should stop laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by