Feather loss and not laying

kyleen

Songster
Aug 2, 2016
Prescott AZ
8BF79788-65F9-42A2-B1F6-64A20BD93B28.jpeg
0C7E357F-BBEB-4834-989D-C5525911E7A5.jpeg
Hi! I have a black sex link that is approximately 2 1/2 years old. I noticed about a month ago her calm got a little droopy and she stopped Lane. More recently I’ve noticed she has lots of feathers that are lost. I introduced new chickens into the flock about four months ago, so I’m assuming she’s getting picked on. But I’m concerned it could be more than that. Here are pictures to help explain.

She’s just in molt! During molt, egg production and energy levels drop. They might just stand around like they are sick, but they are just using energy to make new feathers. You can make special “shakes” for them to drink while molting that will help them.

She's definitely molting, see all those pinfeathers coming in. They can't lay eggs and make feathers at the same time. She may resume laying once molt is complete, or she may not resume laying until spring. The older they get, the longer they take off from laying. Molt can take a lot out of them sometimes, so being a bit pale and down in the dumps is not unusual. Upping the protein in the diet can help with feather regrowth.

Back
Top Bottom