Feather Loss Around Neck

grace_kausyla328

Chirping
May 4, 2021
Wolcott, Connecticut
Hi everyone!

My two Easter Eggers are just under a year old. One of them, Annie, starting losing a few feather under her neck in late December. She hasn’t lost any other feathers but she hasn’t grown back any feathers in that spot either. My other EE Sasha started losing feathers in the same spot in early February. She also has not lost any more feathers nor has she grown any feathers back. I’m not sure that this is molting because of their age and the fact that it’s been like this for about 4-5 months.

I checked them along with the whole flock for mites or lice and I don’t see anything on any of them. The two that are losing feathers also have had diarrhea for a few weeks now. They are eating, drinking, acting, and laying normally. Not sure what it could be or if I’m doing something wrong. Any suggestions on how to help them are appreciated! The pictures below are of Sasha. In that picture it looks quite red but at other times the skin looks normal(paler).

Attachments

• D6E687A6-C5A0-403D-834C-C040D863D99F.jpeg
    D6E687A6-C5A0-403D-834C-C040D863D99F.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 29
  • ABEDB965-A3BC-44EF-82FA-FFB05ADFD9FE.jpeg
    ABEDB965-A3BC-44EF-82FA-FFB05ADFD9FE.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 19
This looks as if their feathers/beards were plucked by some other hens of your flock.
Often this starts when some feed gets stuck to the beards enticing other chickens to pick it off.

Back
Top Bottom