Feather Loss Normal??

Sunnysimplelife

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
SoCal
My Coop
My Coop
My chicks are about 10 weeks and I have noticed one spot in the coop where there are more feathers laying around than the other areas. Is feather loss normal? Just want to make sure something isn't getting in there and pulling the feathers out. It is not a ton just more than other areas of run. Thanks.

They do lose feathers periodically, I think two molts before they are grown. The one spot may be where they dust bathe and fluff up afterwards or where they like to lay and preen themselves. Mine are about that age and there are quiet a few feathers in my run also.

Last edited:
Yes, totally normal. Chicks go through 2 molts before they mature. The first one when they lose all their down and get feathers, and a second one between 7-12 weeks where they get their big girl feathers. After this molt they won't do it again for about 16 months.
smile.png

good to know.i was begining to get a little worried mine are 10 weeks old.and seeing lots of feathers laying around.

Thats good to know. I was seeing lots of feathers in with my chicks that are about 14 weeks old. I was thinking they were fighting or feather picking.

I notice in the main run of my adult birds that feathers pile up in particular places. I think its where the breeze blows them into a pile.

Mine are starting to loose more and more feathers too... but I think mine are only 5 wks old or so. I swear they're maturing so fast....

Back
Top Bottom