Feather loss on Balck Astrolorp!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matthewschickens, Jan 15, 2010.

1. I have a Black Austrolorp who is missing lots of feathers.
    There are 2 Emden Geese, 1 roo and 28 other hens who could be doing it.
    Do you know who could be doing this?

Pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you need any more than tell me.

I will be gone this weekend so if you need them then they will not be posted until after the weekend.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Could be the roo if he grabs her neck to hang on while doing his thing... but with one roo to that many hens, would'nt think so. Could be any of the other birds if there is a crowding issue... Could she be starting to molt? Mites? Lice?

3. It could be the roo but does not he wear the neck down and the back as well?
    Her back is not hurt.
    Also the geese have a nest and I saw our female goose hurting one of our RIR's the other day.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Because she has pin feathers coming in she is molting. She might look sick but she is just grumpy. From what I've read it's not a comfortable process for the chicken.

Give her extra protein and fats in the form of finely chopped meat like beef or chicken, shelled sunflower seeds and scrambled eggs. I don't mean for you to give her specially made beef or chicken but if you have a chicken carcass left over from your dinner give her some bits of fat and meat and then put the carcass in the coop so everyone can get extra protein. Very important ths time of year.

My neighbor saves me venison heart and other pieces he won't eat and I freeze them and cook them up for our chickens. They love it.

Extra scratch would be nice too. Soon she will have glossy new feathers!

5. Are you sure?
    It looks like picking but I am not sure?

6. Anyone else?

7. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    If it were picking she would not have the new feather shafts coming in. It would just be bumpy chicken skin.

I COULD BE WRONG. Maybe others will give their opinion.

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    looks like molt to me, how old is she?

9. She is about 3/4 years old.
    I do not think it is a molt.
    I just looked at her and it does not look like pecking either.
    I am thinking it is lice or mites.
    What do I do and how do I do it?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by