Feather loss on rooster's neck

n1st

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Our little Serama rooster has a bald spot on the front of his neck. He acts fine and no other chicken has a bald spot but him. He doesn't seem to have any lice or mites on him either ( apart from scaly-leg mites which I'm treating). We're feeding him starter and grower feed. Any one know what the problem could be?? Could it be from what we're feeding him??

Thanks

might be mites/lice or from a smal partial molt they go through as they continue on to adulthood...

My rooster, 3 years old? Has a bald spot on his neck too... silly thing lets the hens peck them off!!! Tried the sunflower seed thing... he's still missing the feathers and the hens keep eating them!

if your hens are eating the feathers then that is a sign of methionine deficiency... there are several bird supplements which have this added to it...offer free choice yogurt (choose the one with the live bifidus cultures > not the pasteurized or desert kind)>this is a good source of methionine along with scrambled egg (cooked) though I highly suggest a good supplement also.

Last edited:
He is full grown, about a year maybe. I've checked him for mites and lice and didn't see anything (a part from the scaly-leg mites), but I will dust him anyway. We have him on starter (chick) feed and finisher feed because we have pullets in the flock and we want to use up the chick feed. This can't hurt him, right?? Doesn't seem to bother our other rooster. Our chickens like that yogurt and egg idea!
tongue.png
I'll try that.

Thanks for your answers!

Back
Top Bottom