May 18, 2021
Hello- we have 3 peking bantam chickens who have recently started mating. The cockerel started going bald just on his head and we rang a local vet who put this down to the stress of the first mating season. He has now lost feathers all the way down his neck too. One of the hens (the smallest one) now has this too- started as a small bald patch on the head (again vet put this down to mating), but this has also gone down to her neck. We have checked for mites / lice and can’t see anything unless we are somehow missing this. We use the powder stuff in the coop and they come out regularly. Does anyone know what this might be? They looked so healthy at the beginning of spring and now they look awful. The other hen (largest one) doesn’t have any sign of this just yet. It’s as though the baldness is spreading so I’m keen to get this sorted ASAP if possible. Haven’t seen any pecking / bullying amongst them at all- and they wouldn’t be able to peck their own neck where the baldness is. Laying hasn’t stopped and they are all eating / drinking / wandering around as normal. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 50FE00F6-119D-48C3-BA5D-D2774E34D9C4.jpeg
    50FE00F6-119D-48C3-BA5D-D2774E34D9C4.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 01E37DF0-47CD-42C5-9B3D-2040C198FE90.jpeg
    01E37DF0-47CD-42C5-9B3D-2040C198FE90.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 20
I would guess that the larger hen is feather pecking/plucking.
Thank you- Do you think she would even peck the cockerel? The baldness is just so neat, its as though I’ve shaved their heads and neck & there’s a perfect line where the feathers restart again. It’s very odd. Do you know if there is anything I can do to discourage this- if it is that?

I've got a 7-year-old buff Orpington and a 1-year-old splash Wyandotte, the former with broken feathers at the back of her neck, the latter with missing small feathers atop her head and now spreading down her neck. Mites are highly unlikely. Both are laying -- the younger, industriously; the elder, sporadically -- and both now want to be broody. I suspect this occurs with certain individuals responding to hormonal/seasonal/weather changes (and age, with my elder, who is the flock leader and definitely not being bullied). I'm going to supplement with more protein -- they're on 16 percent layer, and also get dried mealworms -- and try not to fret over it, as they otherwise seem healthy. Could be the case with yours, too!

Could you take a closer picture - that is not what I was expecting when I opened your post. That is very unusual.

I understand AArt's idea of sticking their head through something, but it looks completely bare near the comb. Are there marks on the combs?

Thanks both- yes sure, see pictures attached. No marks on the combs.

Since I last posted I have treated for mites and lice just incase (even though I can’t see any evidence of this and I have always used the dust), and I have been putting anti pecking spray on them just in case (no signs of bullying though). I have also bought some recovery food for them to help with feather loss. It’s too early to tell but I’m hoping something works. The vet did suggest the stress of their first mating season - but you’d think the rooster would be exempt considering he’s not laying! Unless the mating is stressful for him too? Odd to just lose feathers in the one area though still! Again they still seem happy and laying, enjoying the garden, free ranging all day ever day unless we are out, so no signs of anything else wrong. Still baffled but hopeful that something I’ve done will work! Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 6B0925EA-B238-485A-B0A9-1C277F8C37E9.jpeg
    6B0925EA-B238-485A-B0A9-1C277F8C37E9.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 3BE89B72-BFC0-4601-A126-2156432D01D4.jpeg
    3BE89B72-BFC0-4601-A126-2156432D01D4.jpeg
    688.7 KB · Views: 10
I do not mean to disagree with your vet, but I have never had feather loss like that. EVER, and I have had a lot of chickens where it was their first year.

Try putting this over in diseases? I have never seen anything like this.

i agree that doesn't look quite right. His head is bright red for starters.
I know I've never had a cockerel missing all his head feathers like that but at least I know what their skin roughly looks like. He looks like he stuck his head in a car exhaust (not that I am remotely saying that is the cause, I'd tip towards disease too but he seems to be coping with it for now so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom