Feather Loss

ChickenJim

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Hello, My daughter and I are raising 10 chickens. We are new to this. Recently, I noticed one of the chickens loosing feathers around the base of his neck and his butt. I suspect he is being picked on but iti is only my suspicion. Can anybody tell me what is happening?

Thanks, Jim

welcome-byc.gif

It is kinda hard to tell by what you explained. Is there blood or pick holes? It could be he is being picked on. Could you try to sneak watch them and see if you can catch them? If he is being picked on and there is no infection then some blue kote spray could help.

Is he the same age as the others?

Did you check for mites?

Are all the others good feather growth?

I looked at the chicken this morning. I didnt see any pick marks or sores. It just looks like normal skin. I didnt notice any growth or bugs. I did notice that he is loosing some feathers underneath his wing. The rest of the chickens look fine. I dont know how to check for mites, but I would think that more than one chicken would have mites. Any other suggestions? I am kind of getting worried about this chicken and might separate him from the rest.

jim

Hi. I hav e a similar problem... but I know that my chicks are the same age and are picked by the others... What can I do to stop this. The tales of my chicks are red whit blood and show any feathers... Please help me and tell me what can I do to stop this behaivor. Tahnk you...

Back
Top Bottom