Feather pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotassiumJunkie, Jan 15, 2019.

1. PotassiumJunkie

PotassiumJunkie In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2018
    Ireland
    I had posted about this before, but since then have made adjustments to see if it rectified the problem but still having issues...

So I just want to check what options I’m left with and if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have two hens (ex-batts), one has been pulling out the others feathers. The hen doing the feather plucking is completely fine herself, so obviously it isn’t reciprocated.

They have 80 square feet of run space between them (just a dirt run with some wood chips and a few plants etc). They have a coop that’s made to house 4 hens (said 4-6 on packaging but given their size I would go with 4). With two nesting boxes (although of course they use just the one). At the minute they don’t free range as our fence isn’t secure and needs replacing and they would put Houdini to shame!

They are closed in the coop from they put themselves to bed at night until we get up in the morning (usually 8-9am).

Ample food and water (one feeder and one water basin). Get fed layers pellets, a little corn, and occasionally greens.

No parasites and in good health.

Why is one still doing this? Is there anything left I haven’t thought of?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    LlamaGirl4 and Ducksandchickens like this.
  2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Pinless peepers. I've struggled with this problem for years. Currently I have four pickers. The two worst, I've segregated to their own run and coop. The other two are in with the main flock and wearing peepers. This has solved the problem splendidly. You can get the peepers over the internet.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Up the protein in the feed.

4. PotassiumJunkie

PotassiumJunkie In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2018
    Ireland
    Yeah I think I will try upping protein as a last shot and if not get the pinless peepers. Think they’re a great idea but wanted to try everything else first.

She’s crazy for pecking things in general, just seems to be her thing, the other ones not like that

chickens really likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Switch to an 18% Grower feed and supply Oyster shell in a separate dish.

6. newchick64

newchick64 In the Brooder

This is almost verbatim for my post over the weekend. Right now the feather puller is out of the run and free-ranging until roosting time. I'm waiting for the pinless peepers to come in. I've tried EVERYTHING!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: