Feather Picking Meanie!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindylo, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hi,

I've got 3 RIR pullets now laying - hatched in February, and 3 game pullets - one laying - hatched in March or April. The games were introduced to the reds in August. Since then a new RIR pecking order has developed with a new gal taking over the top spot. (There are no roos as they're not allowed here.) Kung Po has established herself by pecking unmercifully at the other reds (mostly) and terrorizing the games. No blood has been shed, but chests, necks and vent areas are missing their pretty feathers. I have checked and rechecked for mites and other chicken ickies, but have found nothing. Kung Po is the only bird with 100% intact feathers. I've banished her to a pet carrier inside the run for a day and the other birds peacefully got along. Kung Po was in jail till nightfall. The next day she was back at it again. What am I going to do?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd try leaving her in jail a week.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Yeah, that

4. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hmmmmmmmm, a whole week? Shall I let her out at night or just make her sleep in the dog kennel (fits lg sized dog Pet Porter brand)? I don't really want to let her go and I don't really want HER to be the "Kung Po Dinner"!

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I would say leave her in a little longer.
    One night might have just enough to really
    tick her off and go back to it with a vengence.
    Maybe try the old aggresive roo trick, pick her up
    hold her head down, let go, if she raises it right back
    up, hold down again, repeat til she holds her head
    down herself. I really have no idea what I'm talking
    about, but I would try anything before "dinner"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by