Feather picking

My girls were doing the same thing to my roo. But not bad enough to show any bare spots. And like yours he let them. They all tolerate this behavior.

My girls were doing the same thing to my roo. But not bad enough to show any bare spots. And like yours he let them. They all tolerate this behavior.

Did you ever get them to stop? I'm thinking that we will just have to get rid of the roo for his own benefit

Has anyone else ever had chickens turn on a rooster? I have had this rooster for 12 months or so and I've just realised that the girls are picking out his neck feathers, and he's letting them! I thought at first he was moulting but he has looked like this for a few months now and it's not growing back. If it was just one hen I would separate her but it looks like it is a few of the girls. Any suggestions on how to stop them? Separating the rooster isn't really an option and he's a bit of a jerk lol
Is he a frizzled black tailed white japanese?
and for the plucking are they doing it viciously(like going up and just ripping feathers out) or are they gently going up and just plucking them out, because I've seen hens try to groom a roo and accidentally pull a buch of feathers out they weren't yanking them but they were still falling out and this was not during a molt either

I'm pretty sure that's what he is, he was offloaded to us by a friend who couldn't keep him. The girls arent aggressive about it at all, they are usually just standing next to him and reach over and gently pluck one or two out. As far as I know they aren't doing it to anyone else

I have 84 sq.ft. of coop for 20 birds. One roo and 19 hens. I use to have 3 roos, that may have been part of the problem. I have a 60 sq.ft. aviary, but when all threat of nocturnal predation is past I turn the girls out into a 5800 sq.ft. open run. I think that is enough space.

The problem is probably too many Roos and not enough protein.

We have 4 hens and a rooster. Mattie (2nd highest in pecking order) is a feather picker, and has been for a year now. They have plenty of room, plenty of protein, and plenty of things to entertain them in their runs (have 1 coop with 2 runs). She basically only picks one hen, which is the 3rd highest in the pecking order, and that hen allows her to do it ... so irritating! The hen on the bottom of the pecking order runs and avoids her so her feathers are intact. We separated the trouble maker which helped for a short time when she came back, but she resumed her habit. We put pin-less peepers on her and she can still pull feathers even with them on. We put an apron on the one being pecked and just recently discovered that Mattie could somehow lift her apron and pull her feathers! Because of her feather loss our rooster's feet caused a small cut by her tail so we separated her. She is mostly healed but feathers are growing back sporadically and she has a ways to go. We closed off part of the coop with wire so everyone can still see each other but of course she is not happy with that. After her feathers grow in we plan to put her back with the others and isolate Mattie again. If she keeps up her evil ways after she rejoins the flock, we are going to rehome her. I certainly wish you better luck than I have had with this problem.

I thought it was just one hen picking them but I have seen 3 definitely do it. They range from the top girl through to one of the last few we brought home last year. Since he is an aggressive roo (to me if I get too close to his girls ) I think we have decided to give him to a new home. What do you think are the chances his new girls will start up the feather picking?

I hope we can resolve the problem too. But if not some creators are better removed from the gene pool for the betterment of the whole.

Having said that, we have found an ointment/lotion at TSC for feather picking, thanks to Dan Garrett of Garrett Ranch.

Apparently the chickens don't like it, which is a deterrent to picking. But it also has healing properties, which is reason enough to use it.

I'm pretty sure that's what he is, he was offloaded to us by a friend who couldn't keep him. The girls arent aggressive about it at all, they are usually just standing next to him and reach over and gently pluck one or two out. As far as I know they aren't doing it to anyone else
Then I think that they are just picking just to pick, you can try pin less peepers and see if that could deter them from being able to see to pick

Back
Top Bottom