Feather Picking.

20.50% protein is what they are currently getting.

I understand the 20.50% protein but your total protein is being diluted by the scratch feed that you're giving your birds.

You would be better off in the total protein department by losing ALL the scratch grains and feeding a good 18% protein layer or all flock feed. If you wish to give treats, depending on how quickly a sack of treats will be eaten then supplement the pellets with any thing from canned dog food (for just a few birds) (kibble style dry dog food) if you have more birds or maybe a 50# sack of pig chow if you have many chickens. This way your supplemental feed never gets stale. Just make sure that the feed you give for treats has real live (OK then dead :lol:) animal protein in it.

Scratch and peck is a brand of feed not scratch grains. It’s a whole grain feed meant to be the sole diet. It’s not scratch. I rarely give treats, if I do it’s a frozen watermelon rind on a blistering day.

Like I said in the first post, I also ferment the feed so that nobody can pick out which bits they want. Thank you for the tips on tuna and cat food. I may supplement a small bit at night to get those feathers re-grown. Unfortunately early on in this particular pullets life her hatch match started feather picking due to a crossbeak. It seemed it was the only way she could eat was pick feathers. We culled her the day I noticed she was picking. Then nothing for a couple months. Now the stress and molting seem to have kickstarted her desire to eat feathers. I’ll keep an eye on her, if it doesn’t stop I’ll isolate her.

We culled her the day I noticed she was picking. Then nothing for a couple months. Now the stress and molting seem to have kickstarted her desire to eat feathers. I’ll keep an eye on her, if it doesn’t stop I’ll isolate her.
Culled the crossbeak meaning 'removed from flock', but then you put her back in?
She's the only one eating feathers?

Is crowding an issue?
Do you give any animal protein?
Is she low bird and aggression was triggered by adding new birds?
I find it odd that 20 week old birds would be molting now, are/were they laying.
Wonder if it's POL hormone surge making her crazy.
Just some thoughts.

They aren’t laying yet. The particular pullet in question is the lowest bird in the pecking order, I haven’t ever given animal protein in the past. I don’t think crowding is an issue as they live in a space bigger than the requirements. I can only think stress and boredom.

Back
Top Bottom