1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FEATHER PLUCK vs SKINNING?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chicksalot, Nov 9, 2008.

1. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Quote:Agreed!! [​IMG]

2. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Skinning to me would be like eating the bone and throwing away the steak...:eek:

3. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:And I always thought that beer was proof God loves us....

4. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:And I always thought that beer was proof God loves us....

Yeah!

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    We just recently processed our first chickens and turkeys. It seems that either method is easy once you get a system. I thought it would be so much harder that it turned out to be.

6. chicksalot

chicksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    WI
    [​IMG] I like the idea of the 'assembly line' processing that Eggonomist has going, but I don't know if I can get my husband to join in...but maybe he would. ThePamperedPullet also has a seemingly efficient approach with bypassing the cleaning altogether...I like that idea. I can understand doing BOTH methods, as stated by more than a few of you, being able to 'have your cake & eat it too'. It's not that I'm against the skin, I am looking for what works 'for the masses'. The info that the bird keeps longer in the freezer as stated by mississippifarmboy is very useful in being able to keep larger quantities of meat longer. I am open to other comments about what works & why... [​IMG] GREAT INFO SO FAR !

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  7. ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Central California
    Well, I processed my first today.. Just one, and it was a huge job, since I only had the online info to go by. I learned a LOT. My next one will go much smoother, and now I will have a helper.
    I was wondering when I was done plucking if it was possible to just cut the legs, thighs and breast off and be done with it! Great idea! Thank you!
    I love canned chicken.. I plan on canning some more dark meat. It is so handy to toss in a can of cream of mushroom soup for a 3 minute meal. OR over some noodles and Alfredo sauce.. No worries if the freezer goes out either. [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Sure, it's possible. You'd be wasting wings, (my favorite part!) back, neck, and I don't know if you like liver, gizzard and heat, but those too. That's a lot of perfectly good meat to throw away from a creature who just gave it's life to feed you. Once it's plucked, it really doesn't take any longer to eviscerate and rinse out, and bag a whole bird, than it does to take the time to cut off the legs, thighs, and the breast. You just don't waste a lot of the bird you just raised and butchered.

You put an awful lot of time and money into raising those birds, why throw any of the meat away? Even if you decide to separate those parts before freezing, they'd still make fine soup, stock, chicken salad, dumplings, etc.

9. chicksalot

chicksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    WI
    ZZsbabiez ... we both live in 53555 !!! [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We had another 2 pound fryer dislocate his leg today. I have no clue
    how he did it.

My son slaughtered it and I skinned it using my Leatherman survival
    knife. We have a 1.5 pound bird ready for brining or freezing sitting
    on the kitchen counter.

This, in my opinion, was a perfect skinning application. Quick and easy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by