Feather Plucking Questions

nittanyxi

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have 17 hens (no roosters) and about 4 or 5 of them have bare spots right above their tails. Not sure who is doing it I never see any aggresive behavior. Anyway their pink skin is showing and I think they are partially getting picked on simply because their bare skin is attracting attention.

I want to find something that I can cover their skin with that is black so it doesn't draw attention from the other hens. Does anyone know what I can use that would be safe? The only suggestioin I got was black shoe polish but I don't think it's a good idea to put that directly on anyones skin.

Last edited:
sad.png
sad.png

I had this problem late winter. I started letting them free-range a little when the snow melted, which helped to keep them distracted. The hen lowest on the pecking order was really getting attacked, though, with a tiny blood spot. Blu-kote worked well for this, but I had one hen that kept attacking, even with the blu-kote. I put pinless peepers on her, which put a stop to that.
With closer observation, I discovered one hen in particular loved to eat feathers, and was picking them off everyone. We put pinless peepers on her, and now everyone's feathers are growing back.

I tried the blue kot and found no effect, other than cool-looking blue feather patterns on the eggs (but I was worried about eating those). I'm curious about where to get the "chicken saddles" as we've been having this issue now for several months with our Barred Rock, who is unfortunately the bottom of the pecking order. She still lays eggs so we figure she's doing ok. Just a bummer since she used to be the prettiest and is now looking kind of mangy.

I have also heard that chickens eat feathers when they are in need of protein, so maybe you could try supplementing that (we haven't tried yet as our girls free range and get feed supplement that should be covering the protein needs, but maybe ought to see what else they might be missing).

Good luck.

Quote:
I read a suggestion once that said to hang a head of lettuce for them to peck on if you think it's an issue of boredom - give them a little toy for the time they're inside and cant go out.

agreed with boredom.

we had a large hog farm, and we always clipped the tails at a day old. the reason was that when kept in a pen with nothing else to do, the pigs get bored and start biting tails. they are much less likely to do that, if the tails are short.

same thing with chickens, but you can't clip a chicken's tail
tongue.png

i've got 3 hens and a rooster in a coop and run together. i've had them for a week or two now. they also came with a banty hen. the banty seems to be everyones stress reliever, as her back is bare and the hens and rooster are beginning to pick on her more now that the grass in the run is wearing out. i put in a sunflower head and a head of unshelled popcorn to give them something to do, and they don't pick on her as much anymore.

anyway, she is the stress reliever. all 3 hens have perfect feathers, because they pick on bridgette and leave each other alone

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom