Feather Problems? Please help!!

MamaHen8

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
This is my golden campine. She has recently started laying about a month, maybe a month and a half ago. I noticed something wrong in her feathers and have just kept and eye on it, but this morning it has seem to gotten much worse. She is the smallest of my 3. does anyone know what this is? anything helps! I'd like to know if i need to get it treated and if my other girls can get it. thank you so much!!!! the pictures are kind of hard to see, but it's back where ger tail feathers start and it': white almost like she's been picking at her self. let me know if i need to post better pictures! thanks again!!!
[/IMG]

This is my golden campine. She has recently started laying about a month, maybe a month and a half ago. I noticed something wrong in her feathers and have just kept and eye on it, but this morning it has seem to gotten much worse. She is the smallest of my 3. does anyone know what this is? anything helps! I'd like to know if i need to get it treated and if my other girls can get it. thank you so much!!!! the pictures are kind of hard to see, but it's back where ger tail feathers start and it': white almost like she's been picking at her self. let me know if i need to post better pictures! thanks again!!!
[/IMG]

Hi.
frow.gif

I'm not sure. But have you checked for mites or lice?

Doubtful she picked that out herself. But it also doesn't look to be a spot someone else would be picking at either.
hu.gif

What are you feeding, including treats? How big is your flock and your coop/run? Do you free range? Supplement lighting? These questions will help to come up with answers.

Hi. :frow

I'm not sure. But have you checked for mites or lice?

Doubtful she picked that out herself. But it also doesn't look to be a spot someone else would be picking at either. :confused:

What are you feeding, including treats? How big is your flock and your coop/run? Do you free range? Supplement lighting? These questions will help to come up with answers.

hi!! I haven't really checked for mites or lice, but i do feel that if i had either of those the other girls would have it as well. i did notice today my so called "mom" of the group peck at that spot on her back... so i'm not sure what that could mean, she also could have been pecking to get her to move. treats are usually bananas or some sort greens like lettuce. they haven't had any treats recently though. i only have 3 chickens and our run is 10 ft long and i forget how big our coop is, but it's a decent size with 4 nest boxes. i free range as well as cage. we have a dog, so i can't let them free range all day, but i do try to let them out to eat grass every once in awhile. i actually don't have any lights in there coop at all. all they have is day time sunlight. another thing it could be is that maybe she's getting too cold at night? maybe i need to add a heat lamp or something? i'm worried they'll fry though lol or get too hot. it's only getting down to about 30's to low 20's but we'll be dropping to the teens this upcoming week. (WOULD LOVE SOME ADVICE WITH THAT IF SOMEONE CAN HELP
1f60a.png
) but she is clearly not as plump as my other ladies... so that's why i thought about adding some heat... anything helps me out! thank you so so so much!!

How is she doing today? So you feed layer? Have you seen her poo, is it normal? Is she still laying eggs?

I'm not sure why I previously said it didn't look like a spot someone else pecked out either....
hmm.png

Because I've seen all kinds of chases that ended with missing feathers from one place or another. If it is red enough it may invite pecking from flock mates. Blu Kote is something used to cover redness and I think it MIGHT have some anti bacterial effect, (I haven't used it yet). And roost time can be brutal sometimes.

Is she the same breed as the others? Is she the same breed and age as others? If not, size might not be a fair comparison. But behavior should be a good indicator.

I would not add heat. One bare patch of feathers should not be harming her, as far as I know. As long as her roost isn't drafty and your ventilation is sufficient so moisture doesn't build. Natural lighting is my preferred method.

I would up the protein level, if you are feeding layer. Feathers are protein and it will help them grow back. However, if they've been pulled I don't think they will grow back until molt.

Back
Top Bottom