Feather question after lice destruction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pins2danes, Nov 24, 2014.

1. pins2danes

pins2danes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    Phoenix Arizona
    Hello all! I recently noticed my hen had a very bad lice infestation (just her not the other one???) so I've been dusting with permethrin, wood ash, DE and bathing her with dawn, tea tree oil and sevin liquid to get the ones the dust failed to and also the eggs seemed stuck on her feathers. I've been dusting her every few days (they also have a dust bath with the above mixture along with dirt/sand they use on their own) and I gave her 2 baths a week apart. When I got her in May I think she already had lice and I just didn't notice as she was my first chicken and I got her short notice. She has never had pretty feathers until recently when her head/neck feathers came in so beautifully but the rest of her just looks so wonky. I think herself and the other hen may be plucking her wing feathers so I have been putting blue kote on them the last week but if there are no other issues, how long should it take for her feathers to come in as gorgeous as her neck? And is there anything else I should be doing to help out? Thanks so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by