Feather Shaft Development on my Red Sex Link Chicks?

Mar 27, 2018
East Tennessee Mountains
I bought 2 red sex links from Tractor supply about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure how old they are, I think they were sitting at Tractor Supply for a few days or maybe a week before I picked them up.

My question is, they are growing rapidly and developing their feathers. One of them is growing just feather shafts along the spine and kind of resembles a porcupine. Is this normal? I don't suspect lice or mites because no other chick in the brooder is having this problem.

Pictures would help, but some grow feathers in a bit differently. Make sure they are eating a good fresh chick starter so they are getting all they need to grow, and feather. I give mine a daily treat of scrambled eggs which gets them growing like weeds.

Pictures would help, but some grow feathers in a bit differently. Make sure they are eating a good fresh chick starter so they are getting all they need to grow, and feather. I give mine a daily treat of scrambled eggs which gets them growing like weeds.

Just got home and she's growing little feathers out of the shafts so I think we're all good :) I think I'll take your advice and give them a scrambled egg. Do I need to give them some grit if I do that? They're just on starter crumbles right now so I haven't given them any grit yet.

Last edited:
I never add grit. You can if you want. A bit of sand sprinkled around the brooder or in a dish will work, but I feed eggs without problems. If you feed too many eggs be aware their poop will be looser and a bit more stinky. I find it's worth the smell to get such good growth rates. So if it bothers you cut back on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom