Feathered legs?

I have one feathered foot chicken (Salmon Faverolles - the one in my profile pic) in my flock. In the winter, she seems to benefit from the warmth of the feathers. In the summer it doesn't seem to make much difference. The only time it feels like an issue is when it is muddy in the fall and spring. My yard can be a bit of a mud pit due to drainage issues and her feathered feet tend to get mud stuck to them. She walks fine though so it's no major issue. Her feet just look gross lol.

I will say though, she has been the only chicken I've had who got bumblefoot, so maybe they are more prone to that. It was a pretty bad case (bad one on each foot), so maybe just be vigilant about catching that kind of thing early and treating it, as well as keeping the coop and roosts clean. Other than that, I don't think it makes much difference whether they are feathered or not.

Your OE has Marans in the mix like this feather foot. I love her feather feet, I think they look really cool. I just got this Blue chick and you can see she's going to have alot of foot feather too. I've never had problems and they free range around 5 acres. When temps or less they don't go far from the dry coop, no frostbite. Up to you, I didn't realize until now that it's a big deal. I do have a friend who said she loves them but had a Rooster who broke a feather and there was alot of blood. If you have good coop/run conditions I wouldn't be to worried. I love the very dark brown eggs the Maran's lay. It's totaly up to you really. Good Luck!!
View attachment 3792275
View attachment 3792277
Those are cute looking! And definitely reassuring to hear of no issues. They stay in our 10x10 covered run most the time with occasional free range in our back yard. Mainly I just overthink stuff and this is way new to us. I was unaware OE were crossed with Marans until I bought them lol. I was going to get some lavender marans but was worried about the feathering. I’m unable to return so I’m stuck with them, and just noticed a small feather coming from the others foot. Hopefully they’re good birds and lay some nice olive eggs!

I have one feathered foot chicken (Salmon Faverolles - the one in my profile pic) in my flock. In the winter, she seems to benefit from the warmth of the feathers. In the summer it doesn't seem to make much difference. The only time it feels like an issue is when it is muddy in the fall and spring. My yard can be a bit of a mud pit due to drainage issues and her feathered feet tend to get mud stuck to them. She walks fine though so it's no major issue. Her feet just look gross lol.

I will say though, she has been the only chicken I've had who got bumblefoot, so maybe they are more prone to that. It was a pretty bad case (bad one on each foot), so maybe just be vigilant about catching that kind of thing early and treating it, as well as keeping the coop and roosts clean. Other than that, I don't think it makes much difference whether they are feathered or not.
Interesting. Thanks, will keep an eye. Hopefully they don’t cause many health problems.

Feather feet are super cute, but we've be avoiding them as well. One, due to potential mites (same as you). But it's also just one less thing to clean poop off of.

It's a tough balance when you REALLY want Salmon Faverolles, the messiest of all birds. 😓
Right! We’ll see how it goes. Either we won’t care about them having it for future birds or will stay far away

I’m unable to return so I’m stuck with them, and just noticed a small feather coming from the others foot. Hopefully they’re good birds and lay some nice olive eggs!
For things like mud on the feet, the number of feathers makes a big difference. Having just a few feathers is not going to be a big deal, even if large amounts of feathers might be.

Back
Top Bottom