Feathered legs?

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
We just bought 4 chicks today. 2 olive eggers, 1 SL Wyandotte and 1 GL Wyandotte. One of the olive eggers has some feathers coming from its dark colored legs. I did a lot of research prior to getting them and saw some comments on feathered legs causing frost bite and increased mites.

We currently only have RIR’s and barred rocks so would be new to feathered legs. Does anyone have tips on these? I can attempt to exchange for a non feathered tomorrow when they open.

Attachments

• IMG_9125.jpeg
    IMG_9125.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9119.jpeg
    IMG_9119.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 6
We just bought 4 chicks today. 2 olive eggers, 1 SL Wyandotte and 1 GL Wyandotte. One of the olive eggers has some feathers coming from its dark colored legs. I did a lot of research prior to getting them and saw some comments on feathered legs causing frost bite and increased mites.
I have a personal dislike of leg feathers because I don't like the way they look (especially when dirty or muddy), but I have owned a few chickens that had feathered feet, and I didn't notice any health issues.

There was a thread about two years ago talking about feathered feet, and someone posted that among their chickens the clean-footed ones seemed more susceptible to frostbite than the feather-footed ones.
Here's a quote:

Out of the tens of dozens of birds that have stayed over winters here over the years, 1 feather footed bird here got severe frost bite, and the loss of toes happened before he came into my possession.

Where as my clean legged birds fare far worse. I have probably 100 birds total currently. Roughly 15 are feather legged fully and 3 are sparsely feathered. The rest are clean legged. Out of those clean legged birds, maybe 20 have all their nails. The rest either are missing multiple nails, knuckles or complete toes.

Several have also had frozen feet that result in the loss of the foot entirely and have had to be put down.

I think part of the cold intolerance is hereditary, but I still also believe that feathered legs are far less likely to get frostbite, let alone severely

I have a personal dislike of leg feathers because I don't like the way they look (especially when dirty or muddy), but I have owned a few chickens that had feathered feet, and I didn't notice any health issues.

There was a thread about two years ago talking about feathered feet, and someone posted that among their chickens the clean-footed ones seemed more susceptible to frostbite than the feather-footed ones.
Here's a quote:
I will say, that count did go to 3 over the years. Two of my older silkies got severe frostbite this year. But that stills less than my clean legged ones

I personally love feathered feet. Makes them look like they are wearing little boots to me. But as far as concerns go, there really aren’t many. They actually seem to do better than normal legged chickens in cold weather according to what I have heard. The biggest issue I have heard about it is that you just have to be a bit more careful keeping their feet clean if it is raining a lot

Here's a quote:
Interesting, I would’ve figured the other if the feathers were wet. Thanks! I agree though, I don’t like the appearance either

If chicks don’t have any feathers on their legs, I’m assuming it’s safe to say they won’t develop them as they grow?
Correct. Since OEs can be made with a variety of crosses (every hatchery seems to have their preferred mix) one of yours has Marans in it. The other may as well, but a clean legged type.

If chicks don’t have any feathers on their legs, I’m assuming it’s safe to say they won’t develop them as they grow?
Yes, that does seem to be the case.

You can also get an idea of how much feathering they will have, based on how fuzzy their feet are as chicks. A few tiny bits of fuzz will be a few feathers as adults (or those few may break off and you don't see them anymore), but fuzz all over the feet is a sign of heavy foot feathering when they grow up. I know that is accurate enough to divide them into broad groupings of heavy feathering, light feathering, and clean feet, but I don't know if it is accurate enough to make fine distinctions (whether the chick with a little more fuzz will have a few more feathers at maturity.)

Your OE has Marans in the mix like this feather foot. I love her feather feet, I think they look really cool. I just got this Blue chick and you can see she's going to have alot of foot feather too. I've never had problems and they free range around 5 acres. When temps or less they don't go far from the dry coop, no frostbite. Up to you, I didn't realize until now that it's a big deal. I do have a friend who said she loves them but had a Rooster who broke a feather and there was alot of blood. If you have good coop/run conditions I wouldn't be to worried. I love the very dark brown eggs the Maran's lay. It's totaly up to you really. Good Luck!!
IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

Back
Top Bottom