Feathering Out and Chick Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, 2 questions.

I have some chicks that seem to be getting their feathers very quickly, and then I have one VERY fluffy blue cochin who is taking her good sweet natured time. She's 2 weeks old and barely has her wing tips. I was hoping to move her out to the coop with a heat lamp with her siblings in a couple weeks. Should I keep her in since her feathers are taking such a long time to come in?

I'm also wondering about chick size. I received a shipment from Ideal last Friday. I have 2 little red cochin that are just tiny compared to other chicks I got. They're supposed to all be standards, but I'm not sure about these 2. Do some chicks start out smaller than others? I was hoping to move these babies in with my 2 and 3 weekers towards the end of the week, but since they're so small I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have about 2 Buff Orps, that I got from Ideal that are a bit smaller than the others in the same order.
    They are all healthy, but two are just a bit tinier.

My Black Cochin is feathering out faster than my Buff Orp's.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thanks for posting the question about feathering out. I have two buff orps who are 2 weeks apart in age. The youngers one's feathers are coming in beautifully but the older one looks like a teenager in that "awkward" stage!! The other chicks that are her age all have their feathers now but she is a straggler. I hope this is normal. I've heard chicks are like people and all progress at their own rate.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by