1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Feathering Out and Chick Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Songster

Okay, 2 questions.

I have some chicks that seem to be getting their feathers very quickly, and then I have one VERY fluffy blue cochin who is taking her good sweet natured time. She's 2 weeks old and barely has her wing tips. I was hoping to move her out to the coop with a heat lamp with her siblings in a couple weeks. Should I keep her in since her feathers are taking such a long time to come in?

I'm also wondering about chick size. I received a shipment from Ideal last Friday. I have 2 little red cochin that are just tiny compared to other chicks I got. They're supposed to all be standards, but I'm not sure about these 2. Do some chicks start out smaller than others? I was hoping to move these babies in with my 2 and 3 weekers towards the end of the week, but since they're so small I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Songster

May 8, 2008
    I have about 2 Buff Orps, that I got from Ideal that are a bit smaller than the others in the same order.
    They are all healthy, but two are just a bit tinier.

My Black Cochin is feathering out faster than my Buff Orp's.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. CodyChristine

CodyChristine In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thanks for posting the question about feathering out. I have two buff orps who are 2 weeks apart in age. The youngers one's feathers are coming in beautifully but the older one looks like a teenager in that "awkward" stage!! The other chicks that are her age all have their feathers now but she is a straggler. I hope this is normal. I've heard chicks are like people and all progress at their own rate.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by