Feathering out early is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by n2thestorm5032, Jun 29, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

So it has been about a week, but the chicks started feathering out about the 3rd day, of getting them. And I got them as Day Olds! and now at a week their wings are fully feathered and their tails are just starting to come out! They only reason I mention this is because I see other peoples chicks at 2 or 3 weeks of age and they don't look feathered out yet so I just thought I asked if this feathering early normal? they are Buff Orpingtons.

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    My BO's are 3 weeks old. They didn't get their wing feathers and little tails until their second week, and now they have most of their back/side feathers at 3 weeks.

My avatar is one of my BO's at probably day 3. Sounds like yours might be a week ahead (or mine are a week behind LOL).

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    They could just be extreme over-achievers!

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I have a speckled sussex that was like that. She was so much more mature-looking than her sister, that I thought for sure one of them had to be a roo, but no, they're both pullets!

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

my RIR's wings at one week

6. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow well I am glad I am not the only one that this is happening to, so now I know its normal for some! THANK YOU all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by