1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feathering out...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sequin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    Has anyone had a roo that feathered out Really fast as a chick? One of my chicks feathered in really fast(including tail feathers), but then, at around 2 weeks also started growing a pretty large comb. The other chick that feathered in that fast has the smallest comb and I am fairly certain it is a pullet. It doesn't Act like a roo, and is very sweet - but it seems like an oxymoron to have feathered in so fast and then have a large comb too. Maybe it is just an all around fast growing roo? Guess we will have to wait and see.

2. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Yep! My very fastest feathering chick (which I was SURE was a pullet) Started getting a red bumpy comb at one week old. Now he's 4 weeks, definitely a roo, and still the most feathered out-- he even got his tail first. Sometimes chicks like to defy stereotypes. In the same batch, the tiniest, least feathered-out one is definitely a girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: