Featherless chickens - can they make it in colder weather?

Can you get a light-less heater?
How cold is it there these days?
Feed them a good higher protein chicken ration to help grow those feathers in.
I'd avoid saddles, or especially sweaters :rolleyes: as they can impede feather growth.
There are some ceramic bulbs that do not produce any light, but I've read that the infrared light won't disturb the hens during night. And these bulbs that are originally for reptiles and terrariums are designed to run through the night.

The weekend should crash the temperatures down, because it's going to rain heavily so I see there is around 5-6 degrees forecasted as the lowest temperature during those nights. After the weekend, it will bounce back again to 10-12 as the lowest temperatures, which I imagine would be the nights that wouldn't require the heating. It's really those exceptionally cold nights that I am rather worried about, before the hens grow back their plumage (and especially the down that will keep them warm afterwards).

I am giving them a complex chicken feed with all the proteins, vitamins and minerals - they really like it and seem to prosper from it. :)

5-6 degrees
5°C is 41F....so not that cold, even for a naked chicken, as long as they are dry and out of the wind.

I am giving them a complex chicken feed with all the proteins, vitamins and minerals
What is the protein percentage?
...and a link to the product if possible.

5°C is 41F....so not that cold, even for a naked chicken, as long as they are dry and out of the wind.

What is the protein percentage?
...and a link to the product if possible.
Yes, it's dry and well sheltered where they roost. Thank you for reassuring me, I bought the lower watt bulb and the timer as well and I think I will test it in the upcoming cold spell.

This is the product - https://www.slepicar.cz/28-krmna-smes-pro-nosnice-n2-18-kg.html

It's in Czech, I can translate the ingredients. There is no table with percentages, but it's based on alfalfa which is a source of proteins. I also add a bit of sunflower seeds every now and then, which are a nice protein source as well.

It's in Czech, I can translate the ingredients. There is no table with percentages, but it's based on alfalfa which is a source of proteins. I also add a bit of sunflower seeds every now and then, which are a nice protein source as well.
That was disappointing. So no clue as to protein%.
But the page translated to English nicely. :D
Would be good to give them some animal protein to help grow those feathers.

That was disappointing. So no clue as to protein%.
But the page translated to English nicely. :D
Would be good to give them some animal protein to help grow those feathers.
Oh yeah, the website I've sent offer fried lard crumbs, so I suppose that would be full of protein as well as fat. Or maybe like boiled eggs? That's a lot of protein as well. Or quark.

Although some people recommended me to feed them mostly just the mix in the beginning until their full acclimatization as they are not used to anything else from the poultry house and sudden changes could create some digestive problems.

offer fried lard crumbs, so I suppose that would be full of protein as well as fat. Or maybe like boiled eggs? That's a lot of protein as well. Or quark.
ACK!! Way too much fat.
Boiled eggs would be perfect.
Quark?(joke?)

Canned mackerel packed in water is recommended by someone here with a plethora of good nutrition experience.

ACK!! Way too much fat.
Boiled eggs would be perfect.
Quark?(joke?)

Canned mackerel packed in water is recommended by someone here with a plethora of good nutrition experience.
All right, I will boil some eggs tomorrow and mash it for them. :) Thank you very much for all the tips!

Back
Top Bottom