Feathers disappearing

KCsquare

Chirping
Sep 12, 2018
Hudson Valley in NY State
Hi,
We have 4 hens, 16 months old. They all seem to be a similar size, but i suppose the one in question is indeed the smallest, slightly.

One hen is missing feathers on her back. I don't see bugs. Would i?
No other hens have this problem. Rules out bugs, right?

She eats DuMor layer pellets and occasional human table scraps

The run I think is about 16'x10', the hen house is about 4x6 with a 6' long rost

She seems healthy otherwise.

Any ideas how to get her feathers back and ensure she's healthy?

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180912-182021.png
    Screenshot_20180912-182021.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Do you have a rooster? Have you observed any feather pecking from flock mates? If not, it very well may be molting. It’s that time of year for chickens to grow new feathers for the upcoming winter months ahead.

It depends on the bird. After a year old, they all go through an annual molt. Some harder than others. I had one go through a very hard molt late summer. It has taken her several weeks.....and she still hasn’t grown in all her feathers.

I see rubbed off and broken feathers - by any chance does she rub her feathers up against something like a roosting bar or getting into/out of nesting boxes, squeezing underneath something in your run?

I would observe your hens during roosting time to see if she is getting plucked. It does look like rooster damage, you still may want to watch to see if your dominate hen is mounting her - mounting in chickens is not always about sex, it's about dominance too, it's not that uncommon for a hen to be mounted by another hen.

Are you noticing her feathers in the run - see evidence of molt? If you don't see any feathers the others may be eating them - watch to see if that is happening, if it is, then increase your protein.

Lastly, watch this hen - is she picking at her own feathers? Check her for lice and mites.

Back
Top Bottom