Feathers everywhere!

jmtcmkb

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
New Hampshire
My chickens are 8 weeks old been outside for 3 weeks. I am wondering if it is normal to see many loose feathers in the coop and run. They are not fighting, I think they are just losing them, no one looks like they have any bald spots. Yesterday I observed and saw some falling off just from their preening. Is this normal? It's not just one bird that is losing feathers, I noticed black feathers because they stand out, but looking more closely there are plenty of lighter color feathers laying around also.

okay thanks
smile.png

Hi ive just posted a similar question, my chickens are between 16 & 18 weeks, i went in the coop and there was a load of white feathers in the corner. wasnt sure if one was molting or not.. ill keep an eye on this thread to see what advice you get lol..Tracy..

I know - it freaked me out to see so many feathers all over the place. But it's normal for them to lose their baby feathers several times before they get old enough to actually molt.

Feathers everywhere around here! I was surprized too the first time raising chicks; endless feathers, like a feather pillow had burst open! SHocking! Gets better when they get older.
smile.png

Collect them and sell them to the local fish tie store and the local lady hair shop for putting them in hair. You can also make your own little pillows if you start collecting them

Back
Top Bottom