Feathers everywhere!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My chickens are 8 weeks old been outside for 3 weeks. I am wondering if it is normal to see many loose feathers in the coop and run. They are not fighting, I think they are just losing them, no one looks like they have any bald spots. Yesterday I observed and saw some falling off just from their preening. Is this normal? It's not just one bird that is losing feathers, I noticed black feathers because they stand out, but looking more closely there are plenty of lighter color feathers laying around also.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I think it's normal with them getting adult feathers and everything

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    okay thanks [​IMG]

4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi ive just posted a similar question, my chickens are between 16 & 18 weeks, i went in the coop and there was a load of white feathers in the corner. wasnt sure if one was molting or not.. ill keep an eye on this thread to see what advice you get lol..Tracy..

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Chicks will molt several times before they finally grow in their adult feathers. 1 full molt then 2-3 partial molts.

6. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Give them some extra protein - those feathers cost protein in order to grow! They'll love tuna fish, or leftover meats from the house.

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I know - it freaked me out to see so many feathers all over the place. But it's normal for them to lose their baby feathers several times before they get old enough to actually molt.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Feathers everywhere around here! I was surprized too the first time raising chicks; endless feathers, like a feather pillow had burst open! SHocking! Gets better when they get older. [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Collect them and sell them to the local fish tie store and the local lady hair shop for putting them in hair. You can also make your own little pillows if you start collecting them

10. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    Quote:cute [​IMG] I would have to sift through poopy shavings to do it !

You may be onto something with the hair shops though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by