Feathers falling out??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PennyM16, Jul 17, 2019.

1. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you notice undigested grain in her poop? It looks like cracked corn in the poop sample you posted.

Is it very hot? Heat stress may be an issue. Also, I recommend taking a poop sample to your vet and ask them to run a fecal float for parasites. Even if a vet doesn't treat chickens, they can still run the fecal test to determine if worms are present.

It could be your hen needs worming. But the fecal test would confirm it.

Sequel likes this.
  2. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    The scratch in her poop is just some that she kicked into it, like I said before. Also, no, it's not hot here. We're in Marina, California, so it's very windy basically all the time and mostly overcast.

Sequel likes this.
  3. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ah, Marina! I worked there for a year in the previous century. Windy is an understatement. There were days the beach state park parking lot was so full of sand, no cars could park, and Hwy i was buried in sand down to a single lane. Good times.

I would get a fecal test to rule out worms. It shouldn't be too expensive if you stress it's just the test you want, not treatment. If it's positive, you can worm the hen yourself with Safeguard.

Sequel likes this.
  4. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    Is there a way to know without going to the vet?

5. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Or you can just worm her on the chance she has worms.

Sequel likes this.
  6. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    Ok how do I do that?

Sequel likes this.
  7. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I’m sorry but I just didn’t clumps of missing feathers (?)
    Her plumage looks nice from the photos.
    Perhaps give her a good slow gentle exam. Do you handle your chickens?
    Look her over top to bottom & front to back right down to her skin. My girls think I’m preening them. They love the attention.
    Her feet ... is one of her toes bent? I noticed swelling too at the base of her toe joint. Any limping?
    She’s a beautiful RSL.

PennyM16 likes this.
  8. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    They are mostly missing from the base of her tail, you can’t really tell until you lift up the feathers on her back. Yes, I’ve hand raised all my chickens from chicks, most of them in pairs, so they are very tame and don’t mind being handled. And about her feet, yes, a couple of her toes are bent and there is a lump on one of them as I pointed out in the photo

9. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Songster

Mar 13, 2017
    I dont see any feather issues to worry about?? She looks good.. Confusing.. But you know your chicken..

10. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    It stopped so they are not falling out anymore. Just a bunch came out at once around the base of her tail and her back, but you can't really see because she has so many feathers they are covering the bald patches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: