Feathers getting plucked out?

Yes if it's just one chicken jail may be in order. :)
Only one hen is picking on her, she's a Welsummer. In fact, she picks on everyone, but mostly on this Faverolle. Her back isnt picked at as much anymore, but I'm afraid the Welsummer will injure her neck. I had a problem like this but with a different hen (as in, another hen was the bully, which was our other Faverolle) and we solved her problem by locking her up in the run while the others free ranged. Of course, she wasn't too happy and started complaining, but it worked! Next time I let them out, I'm going to try this again with the Welsummer and see if it helps, if not I'll look through all these remedies and see what works.

Th ultimate solution to a feather pecker is a ticket to freezer camp. It's something they won't quit. I will tell you it's not protein. Feathers are 100% protein but until thy are processed into feather meal the protein is tied up and unavailable. I have read anecdotal research papers that when feathers are picked out like this and calcium is deposited on the skin when the new feather breakes the skin and adding supplemental calcium will stop it. That didn't work for me.

What I found to very effective in my case in lieu of destroying an otherwise juvenile that showed promise for breeding next year was that I unceremoneously chunked her into a new flock and walked away. The lowest ranking hen spares no energy, effort nor time letting newcomers know they aren't above her in the pecking order. She is unrelenting and mean. my only other option was to destroy this problem so I had nothing to lose. It was a rough two weeks for that little pecker but when things settled down in the new flock and it knew where it stood in this new flock I chunked her back into her original flock where the whole process was repeated by all of her former flock mates. It was a rough five weeks for that juvenile but today it minds its own beak, isn't chasing or sneaking up on others and picking feathers out. If it starts again, I don't care how much promise this juvenile shows, it will no longer be in the land of the living. This behavior is the first step leading to canabilism. Once a picker figures out the flock mates are ready to eat meals they start from the bottom of the pecking order killing their flock mates.

I've got several bullies in my flock. I recently added 3 buckeyes to my 12 leghorns. The poor buckeyes are being chased all over the place and look like a roo has been at them non stop (I don't have a roo). Their skin is bright red from all of the picking.

I've applied no pick for the past 3 nights. For the first 2 nights the moment I applied the no pick 2 of the leghorns started in on the picking. So, out to the run they went. 2 nights of being locked outside and not being able to roost with the rest of the flock actually seems to have helped. Tonight neither one started on the buckeyes, but a 3rd one did. So out to the run she went.

I'm actually going to get a buckeye roo in a few weeks' time . From everything I've read, they can actually act as a referee.

apologies for piggybacking as well but i figured it was more efficient than starting a new thread. we have 2 Amberlink hens who lost their feathers in the spring to, we thought, our overly affectionate Silkie rooster. we had to put him down about 2 months ago and figured the feathers would grow back but they haven't and now the colder weather is coming in. i don't see any evidence of mites/lice/infection and it's only on these 2 hens, not the others so i don't think it's any kind of illness. will they grow back and if not how to protect their skin from the cold? thank you!
IMG_0747 2.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG

Well so much for the over mating myth thing.

If your other birds are plucking and eating this bird's feathers then your flock is suffering from insufficient protein in their diet.

Otherwise this looks much like a case of depluming mites.
They must be. Some of their eggs have been pretty thin as well. We're trying to find the time to get them layer feed.

Also, I dont mind if anyone piggybacks on this thread! We all have questions that need answers ^^

apologies for piggybacking as well but i figured it was more efficient than starting a new thread. we have 2 Amberlink hens who lost their feathers in the spring to, we thought, our overly affectionate Silkie rooster. we had to put him down about 2 months ago and figured the feathers would grow back but they haven't and now the colder weather is coming in. i don't see any evidence of mites/lice/infection and it's only on these 2 hens, not the others so i don't think it's any kind of illness. will they grow back and if not how to protect their skin from the cold? thank you!View attachment 1164957View attachment 1164958
I had a RIR hen missing ALL the feathers on her back, tail, and elbows. I applied petroleum jelly on the cold nights of winter, but she survived! I bet a hen is doing that. Once you get rid of the picker, it will get better. Hope this helps!

@CWB4905 That's rooster damage. The feathers are broken and not plucked so they won't grow back until the girls loose them in a molt.

Depending on how bad your winter is depends on what you need to do to keep them warm. Vaseline or bag balm may help protect their skin. I've used bag balm on combs and wattles but never a whole back.....

@CWB4905 That's rooster damage. The feathers are broken and not plucked so they won't grow back until the girls loose them in a molt.

Depending on how bad your winter is depends on what you need to do to keep them warm. Vaseline or bag balm may help protect their skin. I've used bag balm on combs and wattles but never a whole back.....

Thanks .... I'll get some bag balm and also some folks have mentioned Blue Note (sp?) and Feather Fixer. I'm hoping that they do go through a molt soon. We got them as day old chicks spring 2016 and they've never molted so maybe that will do the trick. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom