Feathers in bad shape should I pull them.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by son-n-lawschicks, Aug 5, 2008.

1. son-n-lawschicks

son-n-lawschicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    We are wanting to show them in about 3 mo. and are trying to get them looking good. However, some of the wing and tail feathers are split, and ragged. What should I do? Also if I did that how long does it take for them to come back out.

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i pull mine depends on the person i think but i do it and they do come back i faster

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Seems like feathers take FOREVER to come in...a month? Am I wrong on this anyone!? I know my moulting chickens is taking over a month.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't know if chickens have them, but I know other birds do (parrots)...Watch out for blood feathers. When those get pulled, it can be messy.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Seems to me that if you did pull them, you'd want to increase their protein intake to help regrow the feathers. Growing feathers takes a lot out of a bird during molt, so it shouldn't be too bad for just a couple of feathers, but it might help. I've never paid much attention to how long it takes to grow back, thoug... [​IMG]

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

You should pull them 2 months before a show if they are wing or tail feathers, or 1 month will do it for smaller feathers.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Pull them for sure. If they are main feathers like wings or tails or feet, cut them first to kill the feather, makes them easier to pull out after a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by