feathers in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelliepulido, Jun 17, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I was wondering if this is normal or do I have a problem? I have seen about 10 feathers scattered about and more each day.I don't ever notice anybody being picked on or one that has bald spots.I have 32 5wk.-6wk old banties in a 15x11ft coop and 2runs that are 8ft by 10ft each.

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I have lots of feathers in my run and coop and I don't have any problems. I think some are expected and considered normal. If you have an excess they I would be concerned!

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    same here, 6 week olds. I just assumed it was part of them getting grown up feathers.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicks growing out will lose some juvenile feathers along the way almost like a light molt....

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Wait till week 13. I thought loosing feathers in small bunches was normal. At week 13 they go into their first molt. I was thinking the chickens had some sort of pests or something. Folks here set me straight. I had feathers everywhere. Now it is back to normal, few here few there. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by